Combining chicks 1.5 weeks apart

Jen1131

Chirping
Sep 10, 2022
We have chicks that are two weeks old this past Monday and babies that are one week old today. I need to combine them. Do I have to worry about doing this or should they be close enough in age as it not be an issue.? Also any suggestions on how I should do it for most success?

Last year our chicks were two weeks apart. We did have them in the same room together so they saw each other first, before they were combined. But it went fine. The bigger girls mostly did dominate the younger chicks, (and still do), but one older chick did play the broody for the younger ones, which was really sweet to see. :) It should be fine, just keep an eye.

With living animals you can never be sure of anything. I had a two week old chick kill a sibling out of the blue. They were hatched together and were being raised together. Same age, no integration, and no idea what triggered it. So I can't guarantee you that everything will go great. But I'd try it and expect things to go well. They often do. Just observe.

That close together in age I'd just put them together when I could observe. You could house them side by side for a few days first but it's probably not necessary. That would be my fallback position if it doesn't work out. at first.

complete success! They seem to all love each other and having lots of fun ! Thanks for all help!

Attachments

• IMG_7110.jpeg
    IMG_7110.jpeg
    721.2 KB · Views: 4
Glad it worked out for you.

At that age I’ve not had any problems. In fact I’ve added newly hatched meat birds (Cornish x) to 5-6 week laying hens with no problems.

I suspect that if it’s before hormones kick in it shouldn’t be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom