dublinducks

Chirping
Apr 15, 2023
I recently purchased 33 (asked for 20 and was given LOTS of extras!) California Valley Quail hatching eggs, that are currently in my incubator. I’m using a Nuture Right 360, and I’ve got them set at 50/55% humidity and using my automatic turner. I’ve got it set for 23 days, lockdown on day 20. The woman I bought the eggs from told me that’s what they need.

As I try and find additional information on the hatch times and egg care, I keep finding conflicting information. Some sources say 21 days, some say 28 days. I want to give these eggs the best chance I can at hatching, and I’d be happy even with about a dozen of them making it.

I haven’t candled anyone yet because they’ve only been in there about a day. But I’m assuming not all of them will be viable, time will tell.

Anyone have any experience with these guys? Trying to do right by them. SOMETHING TO NOTE: I have a single peacock egg in there as well, I was told that it would thrive in the same conditions. The peacock is about two weeks out from hatch, so I don’t want to jeopardize him either.

Please help!

I recently purchased 33 (asked for 20 and was given LOTS of extras!) California Valley Quail hatching eggs, that are currently in my incubator. I’m using a Nuture Right 360, and I’ve got them set at 50/55% humidity and using my automatic turner. I’ve got it set for 23 days, lockdown on day 20. The woman I bought the eggs from told me that’s what they need.

As I try and find additional information on the hatch times and egg care, I keep finding conflicting information. Some sources say 21 days, some say 28 days. I want to give these eggs the best chance I can at hatching, and I’d be happy even with about a dozen of them making it.

I haven’t candled anyone yet because they’ve only been in there about a day. But I’m assuming not all of them will be viable, time will tell.

Anyone have any experience with these guys? Trying to do right by them. SOMETHING TO NOTE: I have a single peacock egg in there as well, I was told that it would thrive in the same conditions. The peacock is about two weeks out from hatch, so I don’t want to jeopardize him either.

Please help!
I recommend 43-47 percent humidity for valley eggs. Up it to 58-63 percent during lockdown. Lockdown is usually on day 20-21. Most should hatch on day 23-24. Candle them at day 5 to look for development of vains.

It takes 23 to 26 days for Valley quail to incubate and hatch, the average time is 24 days. I incubate mine at 100°F and 43 to 45% Rh. I don't like the term 'lockdown', it became the 'fad phrase' about 15 years or so ago. It's just another phase in the incubation process, usually the last 3 or 4 days of the incubation period....anyway, at that time I raise the %Rh to 50 -55% Rh, I don't raise it above 60%, due to it will interfere with the hatching process and will cause other problems. I usually wait until I see a pip before I increase the humidity.

Incubating at 50 to 55% Rh is way too high as the woman told you to do. Try to kept the %Rh around 40 to 45% during incubation for a better results.
Also, peafowl eggs require different % Rh and have a longer incubation time, during their incubation period. Most peeps run the humidity a little higher for peafowl eggs.

It takes 23 to 26 days for Valley quail to incubate and hatch, the average time is 24 days. I incubate mine at 100°F and 43 to 45% Rh. I don't like the term 'lockdown', it became the 'fad phrase' about 15 years or so ago. It's just another phase in the incubation process, usually the last 3 or 4 days of the incubation period....anyway, at that time I raise the %Rh to 50 -55% Rh, I don't raise it above 60%, due to it will interfere with the hatching process and will cause other problems. I usually wait until I see a pip before I increase the humidity.

Incubating at 50 to 55% Rh is way too high as the woman told you to do. Try to kept the %Rh around 40 to 45% during incubation for a better results.
Also, peafowl eggs require different % Rh and have a longer incubation time, during their incubation period. Most peeps run the humidity a little higher for peafowl eggs.
This is very helpful. I ask you this in another post, but found this thread.

Back
Top Bottom