converting a kids outdoor plastic playhouse

aim4balance

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 19, 2014
Hi there!
We followed a few online instructions we found to convert a kids plastic playhouse into a coop. Its worked great so far, however one thing we did not see or read about was making it more waterproof. If you follow the link below you will see the pic of the playhouse we used, the roof is actually in 2 pieces, and lots of water can get in when it rains (ours is 10 yrs old so the roof is even a tad warped). Up to now I have just been securing it by covering it with a tarp using bungee cords and its worked fine. But I don't want to keep doing that. Suggestions on making the roof wateproof?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hen-house-rocks-s-the-chicken-ranch-a-playskool-coop

Also, she mentions she would need to cover the windows in the winter with tarp. Do you think I'd have to do that?

Thanks!

A strip of aluminum flashing or "EPDM rubber glued to the ridge would work or even a ridge vent.

Rather than covering the windows in winter I would fashion some type of awning.

Chicken canoe, great ideas!! Thank you so much! I wonder which of the 3 ideas you had would be the best.

Putting awnings over the windows is a good idea. For both the roof and the windows, though, I wonder if drilling too many holes to secure something creates its own problem if water leaks through where the holes are drilled.

I'd say go with the cheapest. I always have extra flashing and rubber on hand.
If you use epdm, I would use rubber cement. EPDM comes in black and white.
If you use flashing, you can use some roof sealant like Quad to seal the screw heads. Flashing comes in white, brown and unpainted.
If you use a ridge vent, they're usually made in such a way to shed water but you can still seal any penetrations.

Back
Top Bottom