Crested Cream Legbar Rooster without a crest?

I took some more pictures of his head and I think he looks like he has a Mohawk around his comb 😆

Attachments

• IMG_7672.jpeg
    IMG_7672.jpeg
    508.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7678.jpeg
    IMG_7678.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7677.jpeg
    IMG_7677.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7679.jpeg
    IMG_7679.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 14
I just have to point out, that tufts are absolutely different than crests. Completely different place on the head
I assume you mean the things sometimes called "ear tufts", that are found in Araucanas in the USA? When I read about chicken genes, the one for that trait is called "ear tuft," and the chicken calculator uses the abbreviation Et for it. That seems like a good way to keep from confusing it with any other kind of "tuft" that might be discussed.

I've seen some people say "tuft" for a small crest on top of the head of a chicken (I agree, "crest" is a better word there.) But I can see why people would use it that way: apart from uses like "a tuft of grass," there is a species of duck called a "Tufted Duck" that has something sticking off the back of the head, and "tufted geese" have feathers on top of their heads, and a bird called "Tufted Titmouse" has feathers sticking out at the back of the head-- so using "tufts" to refer to things on the side of a chicken's head is actually the odd one out (probably why someone named the gene "ear tuft," to make it clear.)

Last edited:
I assume you mean the things sometimes called "ear tufts", that are found in Araucanas in the USA? When I read about chicken genes, the one for that trait is called "ear tuft," and the chicken calculator uses the abbreviation Et for it. That seems like a good way to keep from confusing it with any other kind of "tuft" that might be discussed.

I've seen some people say "tuft" for a small crest on top of the head of a chicken (I agree, "crest" is a better word there.) But I can see why people would use it that way: apart from uses like "a tuft of grass," there is a species of duck called a "Tufted Duck" that has something sticking off the back of the head, and "tufted geese" have feathers on top of their heads, a bird called "Tufted Titmouse" has feathers sticking out at the back of the head-- so using "tufts" to refer to things on the side of a chicken's head is actually the odd one out (probably why someone named the gene "ear tuft," to make it clear.)
Yes.

I've only ever seen crested ducks, never tufted ducks

Back
Top Bottom