Crevecoeur

We just vaccinated our new hatchlings for Marek's and they are probably all going into our program right now because this is our first year with Crevecoeurs. Our source flock were day-old chicks from Greenfire Farms. They added a Blue Crevecoeur to our order, and we have two lovely chicks from our blue hen.

In the future, we will have local chicks and breeding pairs just to get folks around here started. We took a chance and went with one roo (we had three) for breeding because he conformed so much better than the others and was fat and pleasant. He's a great roo, very gentle but still buffles at me on occasion if I'm late letting them out of the tractor to free range (supervised, of course).

Thanks for thinking of us, and I chose Greenfire over others for Crevecoeurs, if that helps any.

Our chicks are on YouTube:

Thank you so much for responding and for the recommendation for Greenfire. It sounds like that will be the best source for my son to look at for the Crevecoeurs.

There are Crevecoeurs available, if you know where to look.

Livestock Conservancy Breeders List:
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/breeders-directory

Jeannette Beranger's Crevecoeur Conservation page on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/CrevecoeurConservation
I don't Facebook, myself, but this page is viewable even without signing in.

Polish Poultry Breeders Club, also on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/polishbreedersclub
This club is for all crested birds, including Crevecoeurs and Sultans.

Last year's article in Backyard Poultry covered Jeannette's Crevecoeur project and gave names of several breeders:
https://backyardpoultry.iamcountrys...evecoeur-chicken-conserving-a-historic-breed/

I myself advertise on Poultry Show Central.

The best way I know of to find any breed in any state is to use the NPIP website:
http://poultryimprovement.org

Most serious breeders and people who show birds have their flock inspected and certified in the National Poultry Improvement Program yearly, so it's pretty much a current list.
But... it's a bit of a pain to use. First, you have to find the NPIP code for the breed you are looking for in the Stock Codes list under the "Animal Health" heading.
(Hint...large Crevecoeurs are "R88" and bantam Crevecoeurs are "W156".)
Then, you look for that code in the state you want to shop in. The full list of state reports is in the menu under "NPIP Participants by State/Territory."
(I am on page 5, in Missouri.) The hatcheries are on the list for their states, too.

Everyone on this list is inspected yearly, unless they have "H5/H7 AI Clean" in the additional classifications column, in which case they are inspected every six months. The inspection doesn't check for every possible disease, but you can have a good level of confidence that someone official has looked at the birds once or twice a year.

You will see contact info there, too, which should help. This is not an advertising list, so not all of them will necessarily have stock or hatching eggs for sale.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions!

Thanks so much for this information. I have contacted breeders listed on the conservancy - and gotten no response, I wondered if their list was not up to date. I talked to 2 other breeders who no longer have the Creves. I will definitely check the NPIP database. Thank you!

Thanks so much for this information. I have contacted breeders listed on the conservancy - and gotten no response, I wondered if their list was not up to date. I talked to 2 other breeders who no longer have the Creves. I will definitely check the NPIP database. Thank you!

I have to say as a breeder listed in the Livestock Conservancy breeder's list, this is not a great time of year to contact me. You would have to give me some time to respond. I am building out and moving pens for spring, setting up my gardens, and monitoring the early hatches in my incubators. I am also feeding my flocks daily, and sometimes the water freezes which adds about two hours to my day. I don't have a lot of time in my schedule for anything but working.

I am about three weeks behind responding to people in email, I have twenty or more voicemails that might be you or it might be scammers which I haven't sorted through, yet, and I don't know if you texted, because I don't use that feature on my phone.

And, it's just me. I don't have staff to assign stuff to.

And, this just one of my hobbies--my family comes first.

I have to say as a breeder listed in the Livestock Conservancy breeder's list, this is not a great time of year to contact me. You would have to give me some time to respond. I am building out and moving pens for spring, setting up my gardens, and monitoring the early hatches in my incubators. I am also feeding my flocks daily, and sometimes the water freezes which adds about two hours to my day. I don't have a lot of time in my schedule for anything but working.

I am about three weeks behind responding to people in email, I have twenty or more voicemails that might be you or it might be scammers which I haven't sorted through, yet, and I don't know if you texted, because I don't use that feature on my phone.

And, it's just me. I don't have staff to assign stuff to.

And, this just one of my hobbies--my family comes first.

Thank you for letting me know this. I do know that breeders have lives beyond their chickens and my family too comes before anything else. I don’t recognize your name as someone I contacted, but I will definitely reach out to you later in the spring. The 2 breeders that I contacted, I emailed back in September and never heard from. I know it is possible my messages went to spam too. My son is looking to get some birds in late spring/early summer, so I’ll look up your listing later in the spring and see if you have anything available. Thanks again for responding. 🙂

Thank you for letting me know this. I do know that breeders have lives beyond their chickens and my family too comes before anything else. I don’t recognize your name as someone I contacted, but I will definitely reach out to you later in the spring. The 2 breeders that I contacted, I emailed back in September and never heard from. I know it is possible my messages went to spam too. My son is looking to get some birds in late spring/early summer, so I’ll look up your listing later in the spring and see if you have anything available. Thanks again for responding. 🙂

I have an ad on Poultry Show Central that I will update when I can get to it, but no change in prices, just mostly to add hatching eggs for blue Crevecoeurs:
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/mo-crevecoeur-hatching-eggs-chicks.html

Email is always the best way to reach me, because I can deal with those a little bit at a time, or in the middle of the night if I am hovering over the incubator or brooder (like now).

If your son is interested in showing, I would contact Sue Dobson. Her email should be in the Backyard Poultry magazine article I sent the link for. She has put more Crevecoeurs on champion row than anyone else I know.

I have an ad on Poultry Show Central that I will update when I can get to it, but no change in prices, just mostly to add hatching eggs for blue Crevecoeurs:
https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/mo-crevecoeur-hatching-eggs-chicks.html

Email is always the best way to reach me, because I can deal with those a little bit at a time, or in the middle of the night if I am hovering over the incubator or brooder (like now).

If your son is interested in showing, I would contact Sue Dobson. Her email should be in the Backyard Poultry magazine article I sent the link for. She has put more Crevecoeurs on champion row than anyone else I know.

I will definitely email you in the spring, or maybe I'll have my son do it. I do not make phone calls unless there is no other option, and he is just like his Mama. LoL! I actually just found and subscribed to Poultry Show Central and I remember seeing your ad. I don't know why I didn't email you from the Conservancy, because with us being in KS, I think you might be the closest breeder to us! I'm not sure if my son wants to show his birds or not. I got started on this chicken venture and my boys have gotten very excited as I've been looking for layers and such. They started looking up breeds on their own and now I have two sons who have chosen harder to find breeds... My daughter just loves them all and isn't interested at this point in a specific breed. My eldest, who is 22, is the one interested in the Creves. My 11 year old is all about the Sultan. Once I get my older one some direction for his Creves, I can turn it over to him. He works more than full time so I offered to try to find some breeders for him to connect with and being an employed adult - his birds won't be my on my dime, so I I'm happy to assist, but it really needs to be his decision. For my 11 year old, I'll have to be a little more involved, and help foot that bill, so it will have to wait until our homeschool year is a little closer to done and I have more time to look into them. Thank you again so much for your time.

Back
Top Bottom