Crop lump

Hayhen

Hatching
Sep 3, 2022
Hello, my 2 year old Pekin bantam has been a bit off the last few days. I first noticed her looking a bit pale but assumed it was the heat as we're in Australia and had some very hot weather about 5 days ago. I brought her inside during the worst of it for a few hours and she seemed okay.
She's not so pale now but she's still acting off. She isn't eating as normal and she has a small lump in her crop, the size of a single corn kernel/green pea. I brought her back inside yesterday for treatment and gave her some coconut oil and gently massaged but it won't go away. I think it's attached to the crop.
Yesterday I gave her meal worms and she relished them and they emptied from her crop overnight just fine.
Any ideas what this small lump may be?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. What do her poops look like? Can you recheck her crop each morning to see if the crop is emptying, or if the kernel sized thing is still there. Massage the crop in a downward motion several times a day. Offer some wet scrambled egg and a little feed with lots of water. You can offer the coconut oil once a day, chilled and cut into small pieces.

Welcome to BYC. What do her poops look like? Can you recheck her crop each morning to see if the crop is emptying, or if the kernel sized thing is still there. Massage the crop in a downward motion several times a day. Offer some wet scrambled egg and a little feed with lots of water. You can offer the coconut oil once a day, chilled and cut into small pieces.
Yesterday her poo was small but her poo this morning was completely normal. Yesterday I did the crop impaction protocol and she has been inside with coconut oil and crop massages. She refused scrambled egg yesterday but I gave her 7 mealworms which she ate very happily.
This is her second day inside for treatment.

Every night I check all the flock's crops to check they ate well during the day and every morning before I let them out they all get their crops checked to make sure they emptied.
Everyone else is fine, it's only this girl and that's why she's inside again.
Her crop emptied all the mealworms overnight but the small lump remains.

Back
Top Bottom