Crossbreeding for life quality and egg color

JulieHei

Chirping
Sep 9, 2020
Hey!

I have a flock of 14 chickens: 1 rooster and 13 hens. This spring I want to expand my flock, and I am thinking about breeding my own hatching eggs. This is my breeds:

- Rooster: Black Copper Maran

- Hens:

2 Australorps (Light brown eggs)
1 Pavlovskaya (white eggs)
1 mixed breed (beige eggs)
1 Splash Maran (Dark brown eggs)
1 Silver Blue Maran (Dark brown eggs)
4 Cream Legbar (green/gray/blue-ish eggs)
2 mixed breed (Green eggs)
1 English Araucana (Green eggs)

If I want to hatch any of this eggs, is it some crosses that I should avoid? Or could any of this eggs be hatched to get healty and strong chickens?
I also want my new chickens to lay eggs with bright and strong colors, that I do not yet have.
Any suggestions? This is the egg colors that I already have.
DD171FDE-2A3F-416C-8FCA-44625161FE6C.jpeg
F0865261-D3FB-465C-AF03-E9939B4C9573.jpeg

WOW Great Colors! Mix anything you want But a game Fowl! My rooster is for Free range and to protect my hens. I am making a new breed of bird that can lay sooner and lay longer and live longer? I do love the Blue egg layers! I
IMG_20210105_003535559 (1).jpg
have a EE polish blue hen.
IMG_20210215_061204697.jpg
IMG_20210215_082921717 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Hey!

I have a flock of 14 chickens: 1 rooster and 13 hens. This spring I want to expand my flock, and I am thinking about breeding my own hatching eggs. This is my breeds:

- Rooster: Black Copper Maran

- Hens:

2 Australorps (Light brown eggs)
1 Pavlovskaya (white eggs)
1 mixed breed (beige eggs)
1 Splash Maran (Dark brown eggs)
1 Silver Blue Maran (Dark brown eggs)
4 Cream Legbar (green/gray/blue-ish eggs)
2 mixed breed (Green eggs)
1 English Araucana (Green eggs)

If I want to hatch any of this eggs, is it some crosses that I should avoid? Or could any of this eggs be hatched to get healty and strong chickens?
I also want my new chickens to lay eggs with bright and strong colors, that I do not yet have.
Any suggestions? This is the egg colors that I already have.View attachment 2530543View attachment 2530544
Beautiful colors! Your Legbar eggs will be sex linked. Only males will be barred (white head spots). Pullets should lay a nice olive green color egg. Hatching your green eggs are most likely to produce new shades you don't have yet and will give you the best chance of something vibrant. Mixing shades of brown splits the difference, so dark brown + white = light brown; dark brown + light brown = light brown. You could end up with slightly different shades of brown, but that sounds like it may not be you're looking for.

Back
Top Bottom