Crossing different breeds.

ChickBro

Chirping
Feb 8, 2021
Hartshorne, OK
Ok, I have two roosters, a Red Phoenix and a Rhode Island Red(I keep them in separate coops). I also have 3 hens, two RIR x SLW, and one California White. I was wondering what I would get by crossing some of these breeds. Like what would I get if I crossed the RP x CW? Or the RP x (RIR x SLW)?

Ok, I have two roosters, a Red Phoenix and a Rhode Island Red(I keep them in separate coops). I also have 3 hens, two RIR x SLW, and one California White. I was wondering what I would get by crossing some of these breeds. Like what would I get if I crossed the RP x CW? Or the RP x (RIR x SLW)?
Can you post pictures of your chickens?

Can you post pictures of your chickens?
Ok, here are some pictures. The pictures are actually from about a week ago I just haven't changed the time on my camera.
IMG_5016.JPG
001.JPG

This picture is from google
but this is what he looks like.
download (2).jpg
Chicks 003.JPG

Ok, here are some pictures. The pictures are actually from about a week ago I just haven't changed the time on my camera.View attachment 2605406View attachment 2605410

This picture is from google
but this is what he looks like.
View attachment 2605414View attachment 2605419
Phoenix cross x wyandotte/RIR - a lot of red chicks, the hens will likely have some patterning on their backs, roosters will have some black leakage on their chests. You may get some black chicks with red leakage as well. About half will have rose combs, other half will have single combs, longer tails than the mother but shorter than the father.

Phoenix cross x CW - half of the chicks will be white with red leakage, other half will be black with red leakage. If the CW has barring, then all her sons will be barred as well, though it could be hard to tell if the mostly white chicks are barred.

RIR x wyandotte/RIR - chicks will probably look like their parents. Half will have rose combs, the other half will have single combs.

RIR x CW - half white chicks with red leakage, half black chicks with red leakage. More red leakage than the Phoenix x CW cross, but probably less than a red sex link.

The CW crosses have a chance of turning out all white or turning out black with silver leakage if the mother has the silver gene.

Since your Phoenix and two of your hens are mixed, there could be some unexpected results.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom