Curious about my two gamefowl cockerels. Help me identify the breed? Can I keep both?

:hugsI'm very sorry to hear about Cheri and Paco,

Sweet photo❤️
Thank you. My heart is heavy today. I'll be keeping an eye on Lucio and hoping it wasn't a transmissible infection that took Cheri. The weak and banded eggs she was laying did not look good and I was worried about egg yolk leaking into her body. I checked Lucio's poop this morning and it was normal. All I can do is hope that he now can begin to develop his confidence in Paco's wake and grow into a sensible and calm rooster for my hens.

My flock feels so small now -- down to 6 chickens just like that. Cleo is the sole survivor of the original little group.

One of the younger hens is sitting on 3 eggs Paco may have successfully fertilized before his untimely transition. Perhaps there will be a Paco Junior...

I'd like to introduce some pullets in as well. I have a trusted neighbor now who rears healthy chickens. How long would you recommend I wait to let my little flock adjust to these two deaths before introducing new members?

IMO, the sooner you introduce new birds may be better, because now that the pecking order has been altered, you should add new ones before they get in order again and then have to do it all over a second time when you bring in the new flock members.

Two days after Paco's demise, Lucio is beginning to assert himself. The first night, I watched as he followed Cleo (who has always been the "hen-roo" for the past two years) as she inspected the coop before settling in for the night. Last night, Cleo made a quick circle of the parameter and then settled in, while Lucio performed a more thorough inspection.

This morning, he made his first attempt at crowing. The older ladies are still keeping him in line, but it does my heart good to see him rising up from the hen-pecked bottom of the order to assume his role as protector.

We'll have two new pullets arriving on Tuesday, so we'll see how that goes.

IMG_20230416_070919.jpg
IMG_20230416_071059.jpg

Back
Top Bottom