Day 2 of New Coop/Run Build!!!

Bock-Bock-Bagock

Chirping
Oct 6, 2023
Central Tennessee
Took a vacation so I can get to work on the new chicken run and coop. I'm planning on doing this project over a long period of time.
This is where I started:
PXL_20240318_182049270.jpg

It was all overgrown with saplings that I cut back previously. There was a small building made of cinder blocks, but it was falling apart. I took the building down to the first row of blocks and filled the space with broken blocks and crusher run. I then raked out decades of leaves and trash.
PXL_20240321_185539763.jpg

The next step on Day One was to lay out garden planter blocks and 2"x6" wood. I had to dig out a lot of areas to level it all up. I used the crusher run to fill the holes and trenches. I was concerned about drainage. We had 2 days of very hard rain. Much of my yard is still puddling. However, the entire area was drained, including the holes and trenches dug out to level up the base.
PXL_20240409_170827588.jpg

Once the framing for the base was leveled up I began to fill the space with rocks from the property. Once I had enough rocks I topped it off with crusher run. I really love being able to use natural materials from the surrounding area. Especially if it's free. The crusher run was $500 for a dump truck load. But the base rocks are free. And I have plenty!!! There is about a 4 foot wall of all ricks on the side of the hill. I've been pulling from there.
PXL_20240409_185007658.jpg

Once I filled it with the base rocks and topped with the crusher run I tamped it all down. That was a ton of work. I got one section done today and got the base rocks in the second section. I also used the crusher run to make a pathway that will compress down and make a good walking path that will stay dry. The ladies do have a wonderful view.
PXL_20240409_182542604.jpg

The coop and run sits on top of a hill with a creek running at the bottom. It overlooks a valley. There is a church and a home across the street, but fairly quiet neighbors.
PXL_20240409_170852079.jpg

I plan on building a walkway around the entire area so I can access the nest box and get behind the coop in case I need to. I figure it's best to give myself room that I may rarely need as opposed to having no room and needing to get behind the coop to do work in the future. The walkways are going to be the same method. I am taking rocks from the surrounding area and placing them where I will have the walkway. Then they will be covered with crusher run and tamped down.
PXL_20240409_205349272.jpg

So that's where I am on day 2 and 3. I will be working again tomorrow to dig out some of the area of the right side of the base and bring more base rocks in for the walkways. Then it's dropping the crusher run. I found a couple little creatures during my work today. I believe this is a rat snake and the other thing is a newt or salamander of some sort.
PXL_20240409_185620491.jpg

PXL_20240409_200435092.jpg

Back at it tomorrow.

Took a vacation so I can get to work on the new chicken run and coop. I'm planning on doing this project over a long period of time.
This is where I started:
View attachment 3796670
It was all overgrown with saplings that I cut back previously. There was a small building made of cinder blocks, but it was falling apart. I took the building down to the first row of blocks and filled the space with broken blocks and crusher run. I then raked out decades of leaves and trash.
View attachment 3796673
The next step on Day One was to lay out garden planter blocks and 2"x6" wood. I had to dig out a lot of areas to level it all up. I used the crusher run to fill the holes and trenches. I was concerned about drainage. We had 2 days of very hard rain. Much of my yard is still puddling. However, the entire area was drained, including the holes and trenches dug out to level up the base.
View attachment 3796682
Once the framing for the base was leveled up I began to fill the space with rocks from the property. Once I had enough rocks I topped it off with crusher run. I really love being able to use natural materials from the surrounding area. Especially if it's free. The crusher run was $500 for a dump truck load. But the base rocks are free. And I have plenty!!! There is about a 4 foot wall of all ricks on the side of the hill. I've been pulling from there.
View attachment 3796701
Once I filled it with the base rocks and topped with the crusher run I tamped it all down. That was a ton of work. I got one section done today and got the base rocks in the second section. I also used the crusher run to make a pathway that will compress down and make a good walking path that will stay dry. The ladies do have a wonderful view.
View attachment 3796704
The coop and run sits on top of a hill with a creek running at the bottom. It overlooks a valley. There is a church and a home across the street, but fairly quiet neighbors.
View attachment 3796712
I plan on building a walkway around the entire area so I can access the nest box and get behind the coop in case I need to. I figure it's best to give myself room that I may rarely need as opposed to having no room and needing to get behind the coop to do work in the future. The walkways are going to be the same method. I am taking rocks from the surrounding area and placing them where I will have the walkway. Then they will be covered with crusher run and tamped down.
View attachment 3796715
So that's where I am on day 2 and 3. I will be working again tomorrow to dig out some of the area of the right side of the base and bring more base rocks in for the walkways. Then it's dropping the crusher run. I found a couple little creatures during my work today. I believe this is a rat snake and the other thing is a newt or salamander of some sort.
View attachment 3796717
View attachment 3796719
Back at it tomorrow.
Looking forward to seeing how your coop turns out! :pop

That was about two weeks prior. The project will probably be through the whole summer.
You can ask a mod to merge the day one thread with this one and rename the thread without reference to days....then just add to the thread when you have progress you want to share.
Some build threads take months/years.

Back
Top Bottom