Day 23 - No eggs pipped yet

peptowishboon

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
It’s day 23 and no eggs have pipped yet that I can see (hovabator with small
Windows) so I’m assuming there’s a temp issue going on.
However, I do see movement and can hear pecking from inside a few eggs. And even a couple chirps.

What is the longest anyone has gone and still had chicks hatch?

It’s day 23 and no eggs have pipped yet that I can see (hovabator with small
Windows) so I’m assuming there’s a temp issue going on.
However, I do see movement and can hear pecking from inside a few eggs. And even a couple chirps.

Hi! Are you counting the first day they were in the incubator? If so, it would be day 22, sounds like you'll have chicks soon!

Not me personally, mine tend to hatch a little early whether in my calibrated incubator or under a broody hen. But there are a few people I trust on here that said they have had a chick hatch on Day 25 and be OK. That doesn't sound right to me but one was adamant she counted the days right.

On the counting thing. An egg does not have a day's worth of development the instant it goes in the incubator or under a broody hen. It takes 24 hours for it to have a day's worth of development, so when counting you say "one" the day after they go in. A lot of people get that wrong. An easy way to check your counting is that the day of the week they start is the day of the week the 21 days are up. If you put them in on a Sunday, the 21 days are up on a Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom