Diabetic diet...what you can have and not have?

Let me just say, make sure if you eat the sugar free candies with the sugar alcohol, that you don't eat a lot of them. They can cause severe, ah, stomach upset
roll.png

And to give you a little "feel good", I know alot of people, that when they lost the weight, that their blood sugar went back to normal, and since they learned good habits, they are fine now.
No up and down swings. Good luck!

I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago. And I'll admit, I haven't been the best at keeping it under control.

I have lost 93 lbs in that time period and I need to lose another 30 to get to my marriage weight, but would like to lose an additional 15 beyond that.

I've come to the conclusion that for the rest of my life I'll be eating - Salads, fish and chicken. If it doesn't swim or have feathers and it's meat, you probably shouldn't be eating it. I also do nuts. Almonds and salmon have helped to bring up my good cholesterol.

My cholesterol was HORRIBLE... heart attack waiting to happen, yesterday I got the results from my latest lipid panel and the results were unbelievable. The Dr.s office actually called to congratulate me. How did I do it? 2 tablets of Red Yeast Rice at night before I go to bed and then Niacin and CoEnzymeQ10 in the morning. I'm am absolutely amazed at how far it has come down in just one year. Of course I also have exercised and I think that helps.

Has the dr suggested Metformin? I'm Insulin resistant and near on pre diabetic and that is what my dr gave me (though right now i don't take it due to pure stubbornness about it)

I left the Marine Corps because I could not keep my sugar under control and wound up in a near-coma out on the drill field one day. It has taken me a lot of experimentation to come up with a diet that works for me. Those are the key words, btw, the "works for me" part.

I have been off insulin for years now and my weight is steady, blood pressure great, and cholesterol really decent. Here is what I eat:

Breakfast:
Cheerios and milk

Dinner:
A salad. But not just any salad! I take the largest bowl in the kitchen and fill it with every raw veggie we have. I use my own oil-and-vinegar dressing. If there's leftover meat from the night before, I add that too. Plus a hard boiled egg and some hard cheese. It usually takes me a good half-hour to eat it, it's that big!

Supper:
Meat (usually about 8-10 oz)
1 or 2 cooked veggies (a cup of each)
A starch (pasta, rice, etc) not more than half a cup
Another salad (not quite as big as the dinner salad, but still generous)

Dessert:
usually sugar-free pudding, jello, or similar

Snacks:
usually some kind of cheese, occasionally a cracker or 3, or a piece of fruit

I drink all the tea I can manage. I'm usually good for a Mr.Tea pitcher a day.

I do not eat bread, biscuits, cookies, cake, candy, pie--not even the fake-sugar kind. I have gradually over the years been able to teach myself that these are NOT treats or rewards. For my body they are PUNISHMENTS that make me sick. Yes, I admit that I eat to a "formula" but that formula has kept me healthy for almost 20 years. About the only no-no I have never cured myself of is pizza. I do still eat it but only about once every 2-3 months to minimize the damage. It always makes me feel crappy for a day or so, which helps with the avoidance training!

I was well over 230 lbs the day I crashed on the field. Today I am 180, which I think is decent for a guy who is 6' tall.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Rusty

Last edited:
i know if you ever crave chocolate that the darker the better for a type 2 diabetic. there is just too much sugar in the milk chocolates that your body has a difficult time breaking it down as well as the dark types.
my dh is type 2 and i've been able to help him to cut back on a lot of stuff he tries to eat excess. he was notorious for having dinner and then going back about an hour later and toasting 2 slices of bread and coating one with butter and garlic and the other with butter and cinnamon sugar (not the substitute stuff
sad.png
) my dh is a hot sauce fanatic so this is also something that seems to help him to keep this appetite from craving too much bad stuff. i noticed when he's had a meal that he uses it on that he craves less after he's eaten and doesn't eat a lot either. he also uses a lot of garlic, whether it is whole or in powered/granulated form, i think i've read that this helps to stabilize the blood sugar. Cinnamon is also supposed to be good as long as you use it with a sugar substitute. i'm not sure if it is supposed to be a weight loss helper or appetite suppressant. i keep a lot of apples and bananas around so if he feels hungry after a meal he has those to grab.

also, longer cooking of food is better for a diabetic so if you have a slow cooker/crock pot see about getting a cookbook called 'Deluxe Pot Full of Recipes' there are lots of recipes in there that call for sugar substitutes and the back of the book will give you the conversions for each type. check out Splenda's website too, i think there are a few recipes on there if you like to try them. it is a little stronger than the taste of sugar but it is tolerable.

be careful with high sugar veggies, one of them is carrots. as much as i love them i don't make them often for my dh because of this.

Back
Top Bottom