Did I cause my girl's end with syringing meds?? đź’”

Lilybird27

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2023
**Possible trigger description of end**
I need to know if what I did could have factored in. She'd already been in extreme respiratory distress. I went to give her meds in a 1cc syringe (didn't get it all released) but her crop was also squishy (could it have been so sour or impacted it had nowhere to go??) Had started her on Monistat in case. She'd been flailing on and off for 2 days... she'd been given LA200 injection (what I had), no visible sign of worms in throat. But she struggled some during and I wasn't forceful enough with my hold and I'm scared she aspirated it. She'd had several of the same kind of crisis moments where she threw herself around before I ever syringed. This time she did it (not immediately, but not super long after) and it got more violent and then she went limp and was gone. 💔💔💔. I don't know what an aspiration death looks like, is that immediate?

No way to be certain. It is possible she got a heart attack due to the stress of the illness and the meds, it happens more often than people realize, chicken hearts are fragile. She would have died anyway, if you had not tried the meds, so there's no winning this.

Sorry for your loss. Hard to know if she aspirated or if her crop might have been pressed on during the struggle. If a crop is full of liquid during sour crop, the liquid can come back up into the throat and airway, if it is pressed on. Don’t blame yourself, she could have even died of stress or heart attack. It seems that you were trying your best to help her.

No way to be certain. It is possible she got a heart attack due to the stress of the illness and the meds, it happens more often than people realize, chicken hearts are fragile. She would have died anyway, if you had not tried the meds, so there's no winning this.
Thank you. The more that I read now, the more it seems like the biggest factor was her crop and not the respiratory issue. The wheezing just made it seem so urgent, but I think the crop was actually more lethal and I left it untreated because I had no idea until later. It was so confusing and for sure my lack of education played into this. It is so frustrating to feel that a bird that had previously been so healthy could have been saved by someone else. All I can do is keep learning, and maybe get systems in place because it was awfully hard to think while emotional. I was so worried about her.

Sorry for your loss. Hard to know if she aspirated or if her crop might have been pressed on during the struggle. If a crop is full of liquid during sour crop, the liquid can come back up into the throat and airway, if it is pressed on. Don’t blame yourself, she could have even died of stress or heart attack. It seems that you were trying your best to help her.
Thank you, I absolutely WAS trying my best, I am upset that it clearly wasn't good enough. I know that her crop factored in and once her head went limp and I was trying to get her laid down to work on her and got her at an angle, a bunch of contents of her crop came up. In that was pieces of peanuts (treats) but she hadn't gotten any that day. They were completely undigested. I am worried that the nesting pads I have had some part in and impacted crop. I would need to know so I can stop using them if they are an issue, they got good reviews so if they aren't an issue, I would like to use them because the girls definitely like them.

Back
Top Bottom