Did I mess up Cervical Dislocation?

Fancyrat4

Hatching
Jul 9, 2022
So I need feedback. Today I had to say goodbye to one of my favorite hens I raised from a little baby. She was super sick and was crying when I moved her after I found her this morning laying in a very uncomfortable position. She couldn't stand and she looked dazed.

This next part is a little graphic, just a warning.

I decided with cervical dislocation, she couldn't even hold her head up I didn't want her to suffer. I pulled her neck and heard a snap, but her eyes were fluttering and I mightve just panicked a bit and quickly cut off her head just in case.

Did the eye flutter mean she died or was she still up? I never killed a chicken like this before. I always have a knife with me so if she was still alive, it wasn't for long at all. Her eyes closed completly after severing the head.

Thank you. Here's a picture of my sweet girl. Rest easy, sweetheart.

Attachments

• InShot_20230624_183014065.jpg
    InShot_20230624_183014065.jpg
    813.7 KB · Views: 31
Did the eye flutter mean she died or was she still up? I never killed a chicken like this before. I always have a knife with me so if she was still alive, it wasn't for long at all. Her eyes closed completly after severing the head.
I have never done cervical dislocation. I have only killed chickens by chopping off the head (hachet or similar.)

I have read that unconsciousness should be almost instant for a chicken killed by either cervical dislocation or chopping off the head.

After I chop the head off, the eyes can close and/or open, the mouth can open and close, the tongue can stick out, and of course the whole body can kick and flap.

Based on my experience, I think there is a very good chance that you did the cervical dislocation properly, and the eye flutter was probably not a sign of consciousness. Your hen probably did not suffer.

Back
Top Bottom