Different age chicks when to integrate

crazychickenmamamia

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2023
Hey BYC community :frow
I have just started my first flock and would like some advice on integrating my current chicks which are (5) 4 week olds with (2) 1 week old chicks that I have purchased. I am planning on giving away two of my 4 week old chicks this Friday because I can’t unfortunately keep them all:hit and I have a feeling that these two are probably roos. (They are going to a good home thankfully that has a bunch a hens:celebrate).The younger chicks are set up so they can see the older ones. I wasn’t too worried about quarantining them because they were all from the same place but I do understand the risk. So my question is if I should introduce them on the same day as the other flock mates are leaving or wait till the younger chicks are a little older? Thank you for your time and advice:jumpy:woot

I would consider giving away the 2 1 week older chicks instead: older chicks can be bully with younger ones.
Since I presume you don't want to do that, I wouldn't give the older ones any advantage and I would put all the chicks together before introducing them to your flock, but I'm no expert, so let's wait for some more educated tips ;)

integrating my current chicks which are (5) 4 week olds with (2) 1 week old chicks that I have purchased. I am planning on giving away two of my 4 week old chicks this Friday...my question is if I should introduce them on the same day as the other flock mates are leaving or wait till the younger chicks are a little older?

If the little ones are much smaller, you may be able to make small openings to let the little chicks join the big ones if they want, but run away to safety if they get chased.

Example of that idea:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

But your chicks might be too similar in size for that to work.

It's usually easier to integrate chicks when they are young, and gets harder as they get older. So I would probably try to do it as soon as reasonably possible.

I would probably try putting them together, with supervision, when you remove the extra two chicks-- but be ready to separate again if needed. Being smaller AND outnumbered will make it harder on the two little ones.

A little more complicated idea: you could try putting one of the older chicks in with the young ones now. Putting just one older chick with two younger ones means there is no group of older chicks to gang up on the younger ones. And then try to combine them on Friday, which would mean adding just two more to the group with the younger chicks (because one already got added).

If combining them doesn't work this week, you still have the option of letting them grow some more and trying it again later. But if you wait to try it, you can't back up and do it at a younger age. So I would make the first try this week.

Last edited:
If the little ones are much smaller, you may be able to make small openings to let the little chicks join th ebig ones if they want, but run away to safety if they get chased.

Example of that idea:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/

But your chicks might be too similar in size for that to work.

It's usually easier to integrate chicks when they are young, and gets harder as they get older. So I would probably try to do it as soon as reasonably possible.

I would probably try putting them together, with supervision, when you remove the extra two chicks-- but be ready to separate again if needed. Being smaller AND outnumbered will make it harder on the two little ones.

A little more complicated idea: you could try putting one of the older chicks in with the young ones now. Putting just one older chick with two younger ones means there is no group of older chicks to gang up on the younger ones. And then try to combine them on Friday, which would mean adding just two more to the group with the younger chicks (because one already got added).

If combining them doesn't work this week, you still have the option of letting them grow some more and trying it again later. But if you wait to try it, you can't back up and do it at a younger age. So I would make the first try this week.
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely be having them met this week then. I actually have a silkie so I’ve had her visit with the smaller ones for a little bit so they are more familiar when they do integrate.

Back
Top Bottom