DIY incubator....Help ASAP nearing lockdown

CaradineCousins

Songster
6 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Birmingham Alabama
Ok I’m 2 days away from lockdown and I have 6 eggs that still need to go another 11 or so days so I’ve built a diy styro bator I’m using a 40 watt bulb attached to a lower water heater thermostat and a fan all my vents are open, I’m having issues with temp it is staying at 91 degrees and my humidity is 75% if I replace with 60 Watts will that be better? Also how do I handle the condensation on the window so I can see what’s going on in there

I’m hatching Marans and Sslmon Faverolle I candle 7 Maran last night and see 5 good veining as the shell is so hard to see thru

and I have 5 SF one set with crack that I waxed lots of veining there as well and movement of the 5 4 look good the other 6 or on day 8 and I see growth on all.

I’m building a Hatcher for the ones going into lockdown

thanks for your feedback

is the bulb cycling on or off or is it staying on the whole time? if its cycling you need to adjust the thermostat up. If its staying on you need a brighter bulb...

you need to get the humidity down. this means less surface area of water inside the incubator and/or or more/bigger vent holes.

Last edited:
Thank you thank you thank you this is the first time I’ve attempted to make a homemade incubator and I just got it running yesterday it never dawned on me to re-check the thermostat to make sure I have it closer to the hundred then the 90 I’ve also just now added a WICk to my water reservoir for the humidity though that’s always been running about 75-78%

This is so exhilarating

Back
Top Bottom