Do California quail share this trait like coturnix quail?

Gigachad poultry

Rest in peace Eda ~ 2018-2024
Premium Feather Member
Dec 24, 2022
Vicenza IT
So I'm kinda curious, when coturnix roos are pressed around the vet they make this foam that is kinda like their "baby badder". I'm wondering if California quail do the same thing and if so can I use it to fertilize my coturnix hens. I'm pretty sure that any chicks that would result would be like mules and unable to breed. Can someone help answery questions?

Google crossbreeding quail. I seem to recall someone did an experiment with coturnix and (I think) California quail. The two naturally paired up and the owner decided to incubate. Most died in development but a few managed to hatch. None lasted very long though.

I wouldn’t dream of trying it myself but it was an interesting read.

So I'm kinda curious, when coturnix roos are pressed around the vet they make this foam that is kinda like their "baby badder". I'm wondering if California quail do the same thing and if so can I use it to fertilize my coturnix hens. I'm pretty sure that any chicks that would result would be like mules and unable to breed. Can someone help answery questions?
I don't think they produce foam, and even then a California quail is a New world quail species and Coturnix is an Old world quail species. Crossbreeding the 2 would just result in infertile eggs or if some do hatch they most likely wouldn't live past a week old.

I don't think they produce foam, and even then a California quail is a New world quail species and Coturnix is an Old world quail species. Crossbreeding the 2 would just result in infertile eggs or if some do hatch they most likely wouldn't live past a week old.
Ok thanks for telling me!

Google crossbreeding quail. I seem to recall someone did an experiment with coturnix and (I think) California quail. The two naturally paired up and the owner decided to incubate. Most died in development but a few managed to hatch. None lasted very long though.

I wouldn’t dream of trying it myself but it was an interesting read.
Cool, where did you read it?

Back
Top Bottom