Do coturnix quails produce dust and dander?

As others state, all birds create dander, but so do you and all pets. Some birds like cockatoos create more than others. The amount of dust is going to depend on how many you keep. Keeping them in an enclosed container is just going to kill them likely - they will have lung conditions in that sort of set up. I'm assuming you want quail for the eggs - you could keep up to 4 or 5 likely without too many issues, but you will notice an increase in dust. If you aren't willing to clean more often, you shouldn't try it. But no one can tell you how your body will react - some people add a cat in their house and have lots of issues. I don't think a single quail produces more dust than the hair from 1 cat.
The majority of dust is going to come from their feed. Poultry feed is dustier than parrot feed or any other feed I know that is used for pets. How you provide food will make a difference. You can wet their crumbles down to make a non dusty feed. And they'll eat it that way easily. But it is more of a hassle. If provided dry, they will produce lots more dust if they can scratch at it with their feet.
Many people keep button quail as pets in house without issue. They are smaller and as such are going to have less dust per bird. They are more flighty so will feel less tame.
All quail have different personalities - and how much you handle them will have an effect. If you are providing their only source of treats by hand, some will figure it out. You'll have some that will respond well & if you have roos, you'll likely have some that always attack you when you try to handle them. A roo bite is pretty harmless but a little startling at first.
Even if a quail will approach you and stand on your hand (they won't perch like parrots), I've never seen a quail that doesn't seem nervous and flighty. If you reach at one, it's instinct is to bolt - don't expect to scratch and pet them. They don't take food the same way that parrots do. I've only seen them peck at it - so hand feeding isn't usually done from offering food held by the fingers. It's usually more of laying food on your palm and letting them peck at it. They will stand on your hand given time. You will get pecked at too, but they don't hurt but the experience won't be same as a parrot that uses beak like a hand.
They are small enough that you can hold them pet them, and although I've have chickens that will calm down and seem to enjoy this, I've not had this experience with quail. They all seem to bolt once given the chance. Eating while standing on me is about as tame as I've seen one.
Unless you are after eggs, I'd go with a few button quail - just because the smaller size will create less issues you seem concerned with.

I keep mine indoors in big plastic containers on shelves under lights. The top of the container has been replaced with a screen for air. I run a filter that pulls dust from the air in the bird room, which is a small room dedicted to that purpose. The dust is barely noticeable unless you buy really dusty food/bedding. However, as pets, they are mostly for looking at, like keeping a pet snake. They do not like to be touched. They will not play with you. They are fun to watch.

Here’s one of my quails that I tamed within 10 minutes. He likes perching on my leg. He primarily lives outdoors but I bring him indoors during the evenings. Taming coturnix quails is easier than taming bobwhite quails.

IMG_6374.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom