Do I have a rooster!?

Emlikesnature

Hatching
Jun 19, 2023
Hello everyone! My husband and I are raising our first flock of backyard chickens. We have Rhode Island reds, barred rocks, and ameraucanas (yes, I know they are actually Easter eggers since we got them from a hatchery). We ordered all pullets but decided we wanted to free range, so we are praying for a rooster! They are about 7 weeks old and we have a suspicion that one of our ameraucanas is a rooster. He is the only one of the five that has a comb yet. It’s wide and red! His tail feathers are also longer and more pointed than the others. We’ve suspected we’ve heard attempts at crowing over the past several days, but we still haven’t found the culprit! Can anyone confirm!? We’re hoping he is!

The last photo shows three of the other ameraucanas and you can see they have hardly any combs at all. Any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• F94D5098-6297-4A46-B948-72731C943577.jpeg
    F94D5098-6297-4A46-B948-72731C943577.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 072AB8BB-4985-4C80-A25C-4AAE16CEFFA7.jpeg
    072AB8BB-4985-4C80-A25C-4AAE16CEFFA7.jpeg
    511.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 7B26D920-C901-481B-B3BC-2E699CE62C39.jpeg
    7B26D920-C901-481B-B3BC-2E699CE62C39.jpeg
    887.4 KB · Views: 47
  • B0812600-A302-4F9E-8EC8-8A4E9995FA8B.jpeg
    B0812600-A302-4F9E-8EC8-8A4E9995FA8B.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 42
He is a cockerel. As for the free ranging, I don't know if you already know this, but the male isn't there for protection, he'll get killed that way. He's there to keep an eye out while the girls are free ranging and sound early alarm calls that'll give the whole flock enough time to take cover/hide

Yes longer tail end can indicate a rooster ! Hey I wonder why you said ameraucanas are easter eggers? Do people not sell ameraucanas anymore? Was hoping to get one next year sometime.

He is a cockerel. As for the free ranging, I don't know if you already know this, but the male isn't there for protection, he'll get killed that way. He's there to keep an eye out while the girls are free ranging and sound early alarm calls that'll give the whole flock enough time to take cover/hide
Thank you! I have thought he is a cockerel too. And yes, I know he’s just there to sound the alarm! My dad had one of this breed and he never lost a hen because he was such a good lookout. Our only concern is hawks, but we have a lot of cover on our property.

Yes longer tail end can indicate a rooster ! Hey I wonder why you said ameraucanas are easter eggers? Do people not sell ameraucanas anymore? Was hoping to get one next year sometime.
Everything that I have read says that true Ameraucanas are quite rare and quite expensive, so any chickens you find from hatcheries labeled as Ameraucanas are actually hybrid Easter Eggers. We didn’t care about the purebred stuff and we just think they’re beautiful and love the green/blue eggs!

Thank you! I have thought he is a cockerel too. And yes, I know he’s just there to sound the alarm! My dad had one of this breed and he never lost a hen because he was such a good lookout. Our only concern is hawks, but we have a lot of cover on our property.

He'll do very well then. Good luck!

Tail doesn't indicate gender at this age. As for the ameraucana thing, true ameraucana are harder to find. Most will be Easter Eggers. For true ameraucana your best bet is to go directly to a breeder. @CaliforniaMountainChicks might be able to explain it better

Everything that I have read says that true Ameraucanas are quite rare and quite expensive, so any chickens you find from hatcheries labeled as Ameraucanas are actually hybrid Easter Eggers. We didn’t care about the purebred stuff and we just think they’re beautiful and love the green/blue eggs!
Not true on the Ameraucana front. They won't spell it correctly. Cackle has them and the most verity of them. The owner is a member of one of the clubs/organizations for Ameraucanas.

Back
Top Bottom