Do I need to cover my entire run with hardware cloth?

Thank you so much for these great ideas! I'm going to look into those wooden posts- they look like the solution. I'll do chicken wire for the roof and run an electric wire to keep the raccoons out. I really want these girls to have a large, safe run, but it's been pretty challenging finding the right solution for a flock this size, having no extra shed to convert. We may build a "proper" wood beam framed, totally predator-proof, large run little by little, but for now these ideas will work well.

Our run is 1x2” welded wire with a 24” hardware cloth apron and metal roof. We also have an automatic pop door on a photo sensor. While not nearly as big as your proposed run, I feel like it provides excellent protection from predators for a reasonable price. It works well for us.

Thank you! Great advice. I am thinking of making a smaller "inner run" that is totally predator proof, so that they'll always have access to a run even if we are away, and keeping the big run as a space they can be in during the day while we are home. I want them to have plenty of space without having to constantly worry about hawks, vultres, and eagles, (which we see plenty of around here), when I have to run to the store or to pick my kids up from school.

How about this as a middle ground: use wood posts,
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ted-wood-post-35-in-4-in-x-65-ft?cm_vc=-10005 like these, and then fencing steeples...with your hardware cloth.

You would need to borrow/buy/rent a power posthole auger (my local Home Depot rents them but I'm sure there are other), unless you really liked digging holes...

They've been known to climb trees...so...yes...

Just run a hot wire around the bottom two feet or so. The electric fences have a controller box that your kids could learn to operate, they're probably more tech savvy than you are, most of them seem to be anyway...you can even buy a cutout switch (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ks-electric-fence-cut-out-switch?cm_vc=-10005) that's no more complicated than a lightswitch...And in any case its not likely to hurt them.

I would run bird netting over the top. Cheap, and should mostly protect from hawks and owls. Every game bird grower I know uses it and they have to keep their birds in flight pens.

Thank you! GREAT suggestions, I think I'll go with all of your advice!

Back
Top Bottom