Do some hens crow?!

GMoose

Songster
Nov 23, 2021
Pa
So I picked up this sweet Belgian Bearded D'uccle Bantam about a month ago, he or she had a small comb and small tail feathers compared to all the other ones there as well as it's demeanor, very come and not at all rooster-like. My flock is all hens, yesterday morning as I'm walking away from the chickens I hear a crow!? I run over and it's this little bantam doing a full crow, she still is the bottom of the pecking order and does not act male at all and didn't even crow this morning. Is that possible? I don't want to have a rooster in the flock, maybe it was just a hen that wanted to give crowing a try? thanks.

The comb and tail feathers have grown a lot but still would not consider them large.

So I picked up this sweet Belgian Bearded D'uccle Bantam about a month ago, he or she had a small comb and small tail feathers compared to all the other ones there as well as it's demeanor, very come and not at all rooster-like. My flock is all hens, yesterday morning as I'm walking away from the chickens I hear a crow!? I run over and it's this little bantam doing a full crow, she still is the bottom of the pecking order and does not act male at all and didn't even crow this morning. Is that possible? I don't want to have a rooster in the flock, maybe it was just a hen that wanted to give crowing a try? thanks.
No idea but I’m in the exact same boat. I bought two 7 month olds of the same breed and today the “hen” crowed.

Back
Top Bottom