Do your meat chickens have roosts in their coop???

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
I might get some meat chickens this summer but I don't know much about them. I wasn't sure if I should put roosts in their coop or not if I get them. Do you have roosts for you meat chickens in their coop???

I personally don't raise them but I would'nt think you should because they could possibly break there legs while jumping down because they weigh so much.

In my experience only the very old meat birds will roost. I have a couple hens that I use for eggs and they roost with the leghorns. I also have many younger Freedom Rangers and the "roost" on the ground.

i did put a couple of small branches in the brooder for my cornish x chicks to play on and entertain themselves. but when they get bigger, their legs are probably the frailest part of them, so no roosts. maybe freedom rangers, a more active bird could use a low to the ground one, but i am not sure

All of my meat birds, including Cornish X roosted after they were four months old. My Rangers roosted long before that. None of them ever broke a leg or got breast blisters from roosting and they did it long term.

Here's a pic of my meat breeding birds at about 8 months as you can see they are roosting.

DSCN0659.jpg

Back
Top Bottom