Does My Turkey Have Pink Eye Or Something Else?

Alluna

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2022
Hi! We are in gulf coast Florida and have a very loving flock, of which a red bourbon turkey hen serves as our rooster. She takes her job very seriously and is such a sweet bird.

Last week, we noticed a swelling in front of her eye (see pics). It is firm to the touch. I have been an avid reader of this site for a long time, so of course, I came here to consult right away! I saw some threads with similar ailments, most advising on Terramycin ointment applied directly in the eye. I have been applying 2-3 times daily for 3 days, and while it has not gotten worse, there has been little change.

I have read here that a respiratory infection could cause swelling in the sinuses and make a mass like this. I've also read about possible parasites in the eye. Not sure about the parasites, but she does not show any other signs of a respiratory infection.

We went with Terramycin because it seems to cover a lot of bases as far as pink eye or other bacteria. We apply 3 times daily, for 3 days now, been flushing with saline for 5 days.

My hope is that by posting photos, I can get some experiential advice, and maybe someone in the future will find this post helpful as we track treatment results.

Please let me know if you've seen this before, and if Terramycin is the way to go, will it take a few weeks to show results? Thank you for any help you can provide! I will update you on her treatment here in the coming weeks.

Photo 1: Straight shot of left eye with swollen sac in the front.
Photo 2: Normal left eye for comparison (the lump under her left eye is a keratin wart she's had for a long time)

tl;dr
  • Symptoms: Large swelling in front of eye, watery eye.
  • Not symptoms:
    • Behavior is the same
    • No sneezing, hacking, etc.
    • No injury present
    • Nothing oozing out of it that I can tell
    • Does not scratch at it or seem bothered by it
  • Is this pink eye (conjunctivitis) in your experience? A stye? Worms? An infection? Something else?
  • Treatment: Flushing with saline and then applying Terramycin for 3 days with little results: How long does that, typically take to show results?

20220415_170202.jpg
    20220415_170221.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom