Does this look normal?

diamondie

Songster
6 Years
Apr 25, 2017
My girl, probably 2 yo, started staying in the egg box. I thought she was brooding but when I took her out, she plopped and her tail was hanging down almost like her underside was too heavy and stayed in same position for some time. I took her in and set her in warm water. Nothing felt hard to me, but is this underside normal or enlarged? She is pooping and ate a few bites of eggs with yogurt I made her.

Attachments

• 20240305_201327.jpg
    20240305_201327.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240305_201322.jpg
    20240305_201322.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240305_201930.jpg
    20240305_201930.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 6
My girl, probably 2 yo, started staying in the egg box. I thought she was brooding but when I took her out, she plopped and her tail was hanging down almost like her underside was too heavy and stayed in same position for some time. I took her in and set her in warm water. Nothing felt hard to me, but is this underside normal or enlarged? She is pooping and ate a few bites of eggs with yogurt I made her.
It looks like it *might* be water belly.

I'm not an expert on that particular ailment, but you should be able to google the term and see if it fits the symptoms.

It looks like it *might* be water belly.

I'm not an expert on that particular ailment, but you should be able to google the term and see if it fits the symptoms.
If the hen isn’t egg bound and you haven’t seen any shells/yolk/etc. come out, it definitely could be water belly.

This article had some information on helping to drain the liquid, but if while researching you decide this is water belly, you may want to check other resources as well to see if there is any other way to help the hen.

If the hen isn’t egg bound and you haven’t seen any shells/yolk/etc. come out, it definitely could be water belly.

This article had some information on helping to drain the liquid, but if while researching you decide this is water belly, you may want to check other resources as well to see if there is any other way to help the hen.
Thank you, that's sad but appreciate that info.

Back
Top Bottom