Dreaming of raising quail in my tiny urban backyard...eggs.....but meat??!

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M BACK AHHHHBHHHB C.F. DGVGJJ C.F. RFH

I'm so happy to be here again!!

Thanks for all of your replies!!!

Currently have 3 hens, 7 pullets and 2 baby nuggets we hatched. No quail yet.

I really like to write plans lol, I spent hours writing a quail plan. My mum listened and thought it was very interesting, said that if I could make a business out of it would be really cool, selling eggs. She said that I might be able to do it oneday, but is have to get other things sorted. I hope I will be able to get my life together and get some quail! Maybe In the next few months.

I'll just have to take it how it comes. Will update you if I get them!

Regarding your comment about vegans - there are, surprisingly, vegetarians and vegans on this site. But honestly, most people on here do process, at least so it seems. Those that don’t usually stay out of conversations that involve processing. At least one would imagine. One thing to note about quail is their pungently unique odor. Ii guarantee you will find like minded people on this awesome site.

Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M BACK AHHHHBHHHB C.F. DGVGJJ C.F. RFH

I'm so happy to be here again!!

Thanks for all of your replies!!!

Currently have 3 hens, 7 pullets and 2 baby nuggets we hatched. No quail yet.

I really like to write plans lol, I spent hours writing a quail plan. My mum listened and thought it was very interesting, said that if I could make a business out of it would be really cool, selling eggs. She said that I might be able to do it oneday, but is have to get other things sorted. I hope I will be able to get my life together and get some quail! Maybe In the next few months.

I'll just have to take it how it comes. Will update you if I get them!

Regarding your comment about vegans - there are, surprisingly, vegetarians and vegans on this site. But honestly, most people on here do process, at least so it seems. Those that don’t usually stay out of conversations that involve processing. At least one would imagine. One thing to note about quail is their pungently unique odor. Ii guarantee you will find like minded people on this awesome site.

My own comment below, expand

I see nothing wrong with being vegan/ vegetarian, or sharing your opinions respectfully, but gosh gosh i get triggered when the crazy Karen's come out and attack anyone for eating meat. They present animals and humans' lives as having the same worth. A strange thing most have in common is that they love comparing the mistreatment of animals to slavery and racism!!??!

Geez, why don't we work on human issues and welfare of animals WHILE they are alive instead of trying to convert human kind to cultish veganism?!?!?

Imho :3

No offense intended guys

I have no experience with quail--is that odor when they are alive, or when they're being butchered, or when they're being cooked?
Alive. Their poop is .... umm, interesting and has an interesting odor. It turns as hard as rocks! Strange. You'd think it'd be easier to clean that way, but no.
this isa response to EbonyChicken. I just don't know where the post went. Lol
Sad, but SO true. Usually they're spotted a mile away thankfully. Not all vegans are like that though.
Probably poop!
Yup :)

I've found an area in my backyard that could one day be a coop. It's the perfect environment, a tiny tree to shelter, against the fence, deep leaf litter floor....I hope in the next year or so I could look into getting some and this habitat would allow them to live their lives like they were wild and free, but sheltered from the elements and predators.

Nice to know they taste good! I mainly want them for eggs and entertainment, and occasionally meat.

This area would allow them to do want they like, make a mess, forage to their hearts content, and fly a little bit. I think 2m high would be sufficient, worst case I'll pad the roof.

As for cuddliness, that's ok, I have my chickens. While some of these quail will be 'pets, i think ill get enough enjohment out of just watching.

This habitat would probably cost ~$50+, mainly mesh since I already have free wood. I'll send photos of the area. It need a to be clear up. It could also work as a temporary chicken coop. It's about 3m ×2m. My current chicken coop is a bit too small for my flock, I plan on building a new one over the summer. The old would be PERFECT for the quail as a shelter!

Back
Top Bottom