Dry Incubation Help

ive had humidity all over the place with chicken eggs, mostly, i dont think about it just keep alittle water in the bator and i dont think humidity has 'ever' caused me a bad hatch... from experience, i would think somethings up with the temp .. just for an example scenario the dangly probe on the bator isnt at 'egg level' so its reading 2 degrees from actual, AND its location isnt in a middle of the temp variation range throughout the bator which makes it another degree out for 75% of the area, AND the bator fluctuates due to ambient temp and maybe a draft from an air vent overnight, AND not to mention its calibration is likely a couple degrees out from actual ... so. that equals 'most likely' a cooked bunch of eggs .. or chilled ... of course this is all conjecture .. id be sure to have about 4 digital temp gauges throughout a good sized bator at egg level and monitor it every couple of hours for several days to see whats going on ..but humidity .. doubt it ..

I haven’t hatched chicks but do ducklings
I have had them hatch days apart till I learned the one side of my bator is cooler then the other
Now I move my eggs all around so nobody is staying on the Warmer or cooler side
If you didn’t move the eggs around this could by why you have a delay in hatch
It has a fan inside to circulate the air so they should all be the same.

So after candling the eggs that didn’t hatch I think humidity may have been too low the last few days and they shrink wrapped. The pic I attached shows where the air cell should be but the white line I added is where mine were. Does this seem like the correct observation to you guys as well?

Attachments

• 0380FABF-134F-4313-8048-FAF7A93E3674.jpeg
    0380FABF-134F-4313-8048-FAF7A93E3674.jpeg
    118.5 KB · Views: 38
So after candling the eggs that didn’t hatch I think humidity may have been too low the last few days and they shrink wrapped. The pic I attached shows where the air cell should be but the white line I added is where mine were. Does this seem like the correct observation to you guys as well?
It should draw down a lot at the end
Mine have grown a little where the last mark is

Attachments

• 3223B727-11CD-47CC-A804-B8792561D315.png
    3223B727-11CD-47CC-A804-B8792561D315.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
UPDATE: These are Olandsk Dwarf Chicken eggs.

Hello I just tried my first dry incubation and only 1 out of the 6 eggs hatched. I am using a styrofoam incubator with a fan inside, if I have 0 water the humidity would be 20-25% which I read was too low. So I added a little water to 1 of the channels for the 1st 18 days and kept the humidity about 30%. The air pockets looked great the entire time, candling day 18 looked great, for lockdown I had the humidity between 50-55% which was all channels filled with water. Day 21 I saw the eggs moving, only 1 hatched out, when candling the other eggs you see a perfect chicken inside but it never broke through to the air cell. I see no movement out of the chickens as well, it appears they died on day 21 without going into the air cell. Any ideas what I did wrong? Was the humidity too low for the lockdown period?
I am new to this but have you heard about the fact that it can essentially "shrink wrap" the chicks if you open the incubator too soon? Also, I rescued 2 eggs that were abandoned on day 18. 1 hatched on day 21. I really wanted there to be at least 2 so I waited a long time before giving up. The second one hatched on day 23.

Back
Top Bottom