dry membranes? update:

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
With my humidity problems (mainly flucuating and not being able to get it above 65. The eggs membranes are looking mighty dry to me(but hey its my first hatch) One baby is out and 8 others have pipped. One egg has pushed off a piece of shell but the membranes are still intact. Is this a real bad thing? Is there a way to fix it. I've been holding my breath since 4 this morning waiting for these babies to hatch!! Crystal

yay 7 have hatched but the one with the egg shell missing has not:( I'm going to give it to tomorrow morning then see what I can do, I got the humidity up by adding a wet sock and a tea cup of water. Most of the eggs hatched after it rose. Crystal

Last edited:
Hi mine did the same on monday my humidity was down too mine made a hole but that was it i left it 24hours and nothing so in the end i had to help them all out only 4 where alive out of 9 but one dies today. I dont know if its a good idea helping them out but i was sure they wouldnt make it themselfs just use you instinct but give them at chance to do it themselfs if one does the others have a good chance.

I think it would be a good idea to gently spray warm water onto the eggs (just a teeny bit) and into the bator to get the humidity up. I say a teeny bit onto the eggs in hopes it will soften the membrane.

If you still have a live chick unhatched tomorrow, I would take the egg out and dribble a little water inside the shell and start the crack going. I feel you're likely to lose it if you do nothing!

Back
Top Bottom