Duck egg cartons and storage

leflemin

In the Brooder
May 30, 2022
I am trying to find duck egg cartons to store my eggs (unrefrigerated). It seems almost impossible to find. Would like to find the 12-egg or larger. Meyer hatchery is the only one who had them but of course are sold out (and for who knows how long). Something economical.

I'm looking at using the cardboard kind so that they can breathe and not get bacteria-laden (I'm assuming it might be better to store them this way instead of inside plastic containers if they're not refrigerated, but not sure). Does anyone know where I could find these? I've searched Amazon and I could only find the 6-egg kind on Amazon that were pretty pricey. Ideally I'd like the ones larger than 12 because I want to stack them on a shelf and not worry about them falling (more stable with larger sizes and takes up less space), but 12 would be better than 6.

How do others store their duck eggs? I use them for food and give to family; I also like the idea that I could hatch more if I needed to (backup eggs for emergency if I lose members of my flock or we have another pandemic). I may even decide to sell some in the future.

I am trying to find duck egg cartons to store my eggs (unrefrigerated). It seems almost impossible to find. Would like to find the 12-egg or larger. Meyer hatchery is the only one who had them but of course are sold out (and for who knows how long). Something economical.

I'm looking at using the cardboard kind so that they can breathe and not get bacteria-laden (I'm assuming it might be better to store them this way instead of inside plastic containers if they're not refrigerated, but not sure). Does anyone know where I could find these? I've searched Amazon and I could only find the 6-egg kind on Amazon that were pretty pricey. Ideally I'd like the ones larger than 12 because I want to stack them on a shelf and not worry about them falling (more stable with larger sizes and takes up less space), but 12 would be better than 6.

How do others store their duck eggs? I use them for food and give to family; I also like the idea that I could hatch more if I needed to (backup eggs for emergency if I lose members of my flock or we have another pandemic). I may even decide to sell some in the future.
I have a friend with Muscovys and they keep them in a metal basket.

I store my eggs in wire baskets. Mine hang on a wall and I have two so I can rotate, but you can get them for the counter also.

friends and family have saved xl and jumbo size egg cartons for me. i also have flats . Duck eggs fit in the extra large chicken egg cartons just fine. I have to add a rubber band around it sometimes cause it doesn’t close all the way. But that’s OK.

This is what I use. I bought it on Amazon. The newest eggs go on top.
48E1F488-4A6B-4939-A3C2-16E40392D23A.jpeg

I store my duck eggs on the countertop in an earthenware duck covered basket. My son uses an open wicker basker with a few napkins in the bottom. My duck currently has a couple of packs of small crackers in the bottom to cushion and stop the eggs rolling around as I am not getting many for the last week
20230924_231415.jpg
20230924_231403.jpg

Back
Top Bottom