Duck imprint

I agree you should definitely get all female or all male - make it easy on yourself and then you don't have to worry about over-mating down the road.
During mating season though even same sexed birds can try to mate each other. I have had my Hens do it before I got a male and my two drakes in Drake Jail did too. Try to get the same size birds as my big Muscovy was being brutal to my smaller Mallard drake and I had to rehome him.

During mating season though even same sexed birds can try to mate each other. I have had my Hens do it before I got a male and my two drakes in Drake Jail did too. Try to get the same size birds as my big Muscovy was being brutal to my smaller Mallard drake and I had to rehome him.
Drakes can be pretty rough with eachother sometimes, hens aren't so bad imo.
My girls try to mate eachother all day long, but are never brutal with eachother and obviously can't actually mate, so it's a little easier on them I suppose.
Then again, varies from bird to bird

Drakes can be pretty rough with eachother sometimes, hens aren't so bad imo.
My girls try to mate eachother all day long, but are never brutal with eachother and obviously can't actually mate, so it's a little easier on them I suppose.
Then again, varies from bird to bird
I totally agree. My Hens never actually hurt each other like my big Muscovy Drake did. He had those big feet and claws and would rip the end of their feathers off and the feathers under their wings. I had no idea he would try to mate my Mallard/Rouen Drake in jail but sure enough he did. I was lucky I saw them so that I could rehome him. He was just brutal to anything because of his size. I was hoping for two females but ended up with one of each as 3 day old ducklings unsexed. I was able to trade him though for a female Khaki Campbell and a female Muscovy that were both only months old so I was happy about that.

Back
Top Bottom