Duck legs

Redbirdacres

Songster
Mar 22, 2022
So I'm currently looking into splints (diy) for three disabled ducks. I'm going DIY right now because they're still growing a little but almost full grown. I've tried searching on how ducks move their legs but I find a lot about what happens underwater. I'm wondering about when they sleep/nest. I think about the splint and many of them have parts going up the back of the leg. Can a duck lay down and nest properly when these are on? Right now my poor babies just throw their legs behind them and lay on their stomach.

Why did the problem develop in the first place? Are they getting proper duckling food? Have you given them the proper niacin - if they're still developing you have a chance to correct the problem! Start them right away on liquid vitamin B complex - that will strengthen their legs, and then you can splint them according to the problem. Is it splay leg where the legs and hips kind of go out to the side and they have trouble standing? If so, you can use vet wrap to create a hobbles pulling the legs into proper position. They are able to move around with the hobbles on and they should stay in place several weeks, or until the legs have normalized. What breed of duck? Pictures or video would be helpful.

Why did the problem develop in the first place? Are they getting proper duckling food? Have you given them the proper niacin - if they're still developing you have a chance to correct the problem! Start them right away on liquid vitamin B complex - that will strengthen their legs, and then you can splint them according to the problem. Is it splay leg where the legs and hips kind of go out to the side and they have trouble standing? If so, you can use vet wrap to create a hobbles pulling the legs into proper position. They are able to move around with the hobbles on and they should stay in place several weeks, or until the legs have normalized. What breed of duck? Pictures or video would be helpful.
I've done all the things and been doing it since I got them. At first it was just the one with a backwards foot, that now seems to be fused. Then the other two started developing issues so I treated them as well. All three of the ones I got from TSC are having major mobility issues. The four I got from RP are completely fine. There's been multiple issues with the one with the backward foot and the other two started getting worse a couple weeks ago. I've been doing everything I can and will continue too until my husband and I have to have a conversation about quality vs quantity of life.

could you post some pics of your ducks legs, I'm sure there will be a few great ideas for you
I'm just wondering at this point if I add the splint to the leg (in the form of popsicle stick or whatever else I decide to use) will they be able to lie down?

not sure if splinting their leg is a good idea, as they may have difficulty getting up and down, I would think, I think CoriM s idea of using vet tape that would allow support but flexibility is preferable but again pics would help a bunch

Back
Top Bottom