Duck Water Overnight

You can build a water table for them if you really feel that they need water during the extra long winter months. During the rest of the year they really don’t need it overnight if you are putting them up about 9-ish and letting them back out early. (I think Holderread says they can go 10hrs overnight.)
I use a shallow Rubbermaid type “tub” (more like a plastic pan) that’s about 3-4” deep and about 18x24 in size. I cover this with coated wire (hardware cloth for ducklings and 1” for ducks) I use a deep dish and for ducklings I cut a large hole (big enough for heads but not bodies) into a rinsed vinegar jug. I put the jug inside the deep dish (rubber dish, dog dish whatever) and use the handle to latch it to something to keep them from dragging it off the water table. For adults, you can put your heated bucket on top of the water table and cover the top with a thin cinder block leaving an opening for only their heads.
I put this table into a corner so that it can be “anchored” in. I use bricks to surround the water table so it stays put. It also gives a surface between the shavings and the water that drips which keeps the shavings dryer and also keeps the shavings off of the wire. Everyday I have to pull up the water table and dump and hose the poo from the ducklings as they are small enough to climb onto the table and sit there. With ducks, sometimes they back up to it.
If you put a tarp on the floor, set your table into the corner, brick it in, then shavings etc down, it helps with clean up.

Hi all,

I know there are many threads about giving ducks water overnight but they didn’t answer my questions given my particular setup.

I have 5 Rouen females. I live in Maine. The previous owners of our house had ducks and had a small room/coop at the back of the barn for them so I am using that.

There’s a slide up door for the ducks to enter and also a regular door so I have access. The floor is cement, and it’s not very deep, maybe 1 1/2 inches deep.

My problem is, I’ve read ducks can’t go long without water, so I put in water overnight with them. Since the floor is not deep and they make such a mess spilling water everywhere, the pine shavings get soaked very quickly, and I can’t keep adding shavings on top for the deep litter method because then I won’t be able to open my door to access the room, so I have to scoop out all the wet shavings where I put the water almost every 2-3 days.

Is water necessary overnight? How long can they truly go without? I feel like if they didn’t have water overnight I wouldn’t need to go thru shavings so fast, which makes the price add up. I also get conflicting information as to how long they can go without water. In the summer I put them in for the night around 8pm and let them out in the morning, maybe 6-7am. They are out all day. However in the winter it gets dark at 4-430pm and isn’t light again until the following morning. Their time in the coop can vary from 10 hours to 15 depending on the season (because I also understand they can’t be out after dusk bc of predators). I’ve read 8 hours without water is the max but others say 10 hours or longer. If I put them in at 430 in the winter that would mean going out after midnight to give them water.

I don’t know what to do, I’d like to make things easier on myself, and less costly in terms of shavings. I also want to keep my ladies healthy and happy. Basically so far I’ve gone above and beyond and clean out their coop maybe more than is necessary, but given my setup with shallow floors in their coop I can’t afford not to clean as often as I am now. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
I have 2 Pilgrims goslings. They are 8 weeks old now and if wasn’t for my boot tray, our coop would be a rotten mess by now.
I bought a very large boot tray “gardeners” something for the brand. It has a lip and protects coop floor nicely.
Our babies love to drink and splash while sitting, just like they were by a pool.
Works beautifully for food and water, containing their nightly mess!
I got also for our chickens and I love my idea!
I hope it helps!

Some good ideas here, that i'm going to try!
Just to add a tangential solution not mentioned before: if the door opens inwards into the coop, consider removing and putting it back backwards - assuming space permits and it's not warped in a way it only fits one way. It's not as pretty but it made a big difference being able to do deep litter so I think it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom