Duckling going bald

invisibledoctor

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2021
20230331_164711.jpg

Wondering if anyone can help!

We have four 2 week old ducklings, 3 khakis and 1 cayuga. One of the khakis and the cayuga seem to have bald patches on their backs. It doesn't seem to look inflamed or irritated so I'm really not sure what's happening.

Their fees is Allen & Page Duck Goose starter and then extra brewers yeast in the food.

The only other thing it could be is I've seen a few posts on Brinsea brooders and burns but it doesn't look like a burn.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

They all seem happy, eating and drinking.

Thanks!

One of the other ducklings may be excessively grooming them.
Is there anything we can do to prevent it? I mean we have anti pecking spray that we used to use on the chickens but I'm worries to use that when they're so young. Not sure it'd even have the same effect on ducks?

How's your weather? if it's nice out and not windy take them out for field trips[supervised of course] and let them have some fun, wear them out in other words. 10-15 minutes at a time. Maybe it's boring in the brooder. I even had mine down on the floor inside a few times a day letting them run around. Works great as long as you don't have carpet. But puppy pee pads works on carpet.

How's your weather? if it's nice out and not windy take them out for field trips[supervised of course] and let them have some fun, wear them out in other words. 10-15 minutes at a time. Maybe it's boring in the brooder. I even had mine down on the floor inside a few times a day letting them run around. Works great as long as you don't have carpet. But puppy pee pads works on carpet.
Its only around 10°C at the moment and pretty wet and miserable, the end of next week looks better so I can probably take them outside then. I gave them a bath earlier which seems to have helped. I think some of it might have been food they'd picked up making it look worse. I've also added a quiet radio to the room and they seem to enjoy listening to it (curious faces etc) so maybe that will entertain them a little. I've never noticed any excessive grooming/pecking and spend a lot of time with them, but if it's a boredom thing they might purely be doing it when I'm not there as entertainment! Our floors are all wooden, but I've just gotten some draw liners off amazon which should arrive tomorrow, hopefully that'll prevent the floors being too slippery and causing issues and I can let them out inside.

Back
Top Bottom