Duckling I had to help out.

FloridaMomma

Hatching
Mar 4, 2023
I posted a couple days ago about a duckling that internally pipped and how I had made a hole. Saturday afternoon is when I made the hole. Yesterday about 4pm I opened it up a bit more and noticed he was shrink wrapped probably because I found the eggs in a dumpster when it was only 40 degrees at night and took a few days to get an incubator. I got him out without a hitch but I left the rear part of the egg on cause there was a small amount of yolk left. He lived through the night but he’s not wanting to sit up he does lift his head but lays it back down. Now all the yolk is absorbed but the umbilical cord is stuck into the small piece of shell left. He did scoot all the way across the incubator while I was at work and he’s peeping crazily when I pick him up. He’s taken a very small amount of sugar water he’s small but was smashed in the egg he was In.
My question is how do I get the egg off so he will have better chance to walk? It’s pretty dried up cause I let the humidity go down so he would dry good. Any help would be great. I am getting some poultry vitamins tonight just in case he’s got wry neck and because it needs it now that the yolk is gone. I’ve attached some pictures of his vent and dried goo in the shell.

Attachments

• 6DE7763A-AF65-49F4-B99F-64B7223D0501.jpeg
    6DE7763A-AF65-49F4-B99F-64B7223D0501.jpeg
    443.7 KB · Views: 367
This photo was from last night so as you can see that small amount of yolk absorbed all the way. Also I seen some poo on his vent today when I got home from work so he pooped some time today also.

Attachments

• 8DB6613E-1A84-4555-BCD9-05C51F141683.jpeg
    8DB6613E-1A84-4555-BCD9-05C51F141683.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 7
Good job helping him! I have used a q-tip and warm water to get stuck shells off. Takes awhile but gets it done with getting them to wet. I have also given weak chicks raw egg yolk mixed with water to get them going. Best of luck!

You need to clear his vent or he will end up with pasty butt and that can kill them if not cleared
I run the butt under warm water at the tap and rub gently to get it off
Then dry with paper towel and then put them back in the bator
This baby won’t need feed or water for 24 hours after hatching and up to 48 hours. The yolk fills them up
This was designed so mom could stay sitting on eggs for 48 to hatch
Then she takes her babies out to eat and drink
Because he has a hard hatch he may take a while to get on his feet
You can keep him in the bator till he can stand and walk
If he is the only baby and no other eggs I make sure to turn the heat to 95
Yoy also don’t need it humid in there now as this will keep him wet
I add shelf liner to the bottom of my bator to give them better grip so they don’t get splay legs
If it’s slippery they have a hard time standing up and walking
Once he can walk you can move him to the brooder and show him heat , water and feed by gently dipping his beak in them
But don’t panic if he isn’t eating right away
You may need to keep checking his vent for dried poo for a few days as well
Good luck and great job saving this little one

Back
Top Bottom