Easter Egger Gender and Buff O gender questions

Checkman

In the Brooder
May 6, 2023
Hi! New first time chicken owner. We got 3 chicks from a local farm. They ordered them from a hatchery and they were vent sexed. Both my Easter Egger and Buff O have one or 2 things that are making me question if they are roosters. Both are supposed to be pullets. Both are 3 weeks, 5 days old.

Easter Egger has some dominant behavior. Nothing major, but is always the one to chase the other 2. Has largish pea comb and is my largest chick. Peacomb is still yellow.

Buff O has the sweetest disposition and is by far the most friendly chick. Lets everyone hold them. Will even fall asleep while being held. Showing slight red waddles and biggish comb. Comb is yellow, no red. Also feathered out the quickest of my 3. Is best friends with our one chick that is obvious pullet. They are very attached.

Please let me know what you think! We are not allowed to have roosters in our neighborhood. I know it is early.

Attachments

• IMG_6813.jpeg
    IMG_6813.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6814.jpeg
    IMG_6814.jpeg
    347.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6817.jpeg
    IMG_6817.jpeg
    388.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6818.jpeg
    IMG_6818.jpeg
    391.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6810.jpeg
    IMG_6810.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6812.jpeg
    IMG_6812.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6784.jpeg
    IMG_6784.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6785.jpeg
    IMG_6785.jpeg
    468.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6776.jpeg
    IMG_6776.jpeg
    687.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6778.jpeg
    IMG_6778.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 23
So far they are looking fine for pullets. The red one is the only one I would question at this point, but it is still too early to be definite on these. Post again in a couple of weeks if things aren't clear by then.
Thank you so much!!! That is the main one I am questioning as well. I will repost in a couple weeks.

The red one looks like a boy to me. And it’s NOT and Easter Egger. It has yellow legs and a single comb. What other breeds did that local farm get in their order?
A bunch of Easter Eggers, Rhode Island Reds, Buff O’s, and various “blue egger” mix. I thought some Easter Eggers had single combs and yellow legs? The look and behavior have me wondering for sure.

A bunch of Easter Eggers, Rhode Island Reds, Buff O’s, and various “blue egger” mix. I thought some Easter Eggers had single combs and yellow legs? The look and behavior have me wondering for sure.
Easter Eggers can almost be anything at this point. Old school EEs almost always had pea combs, muffs/beard and willow legs. Now they can be crested, single combed, any color, any color legged- totally cool they’re all just blue/green egg layers. Hatcheries are keeping us on our toes.

Easter Eggers can almost be anything at this point. Old school EEs almost always had pea combs, muffs/beard and willow legs. Now they can be crested, single combed, any color, any color legged- totally cool they’re all just blue/green egg layers. Hatcheries are keeping us on our toes.
I just looked at pictures of RIR’s and now wondering if this is what we have or if it is bred from that. Feeling a little better after seeing those pictures for sure

I was typing out basically the same thing when @house1917 posted.

EEs “should” have pea combs, beard/muffs and willow legs. They don’t always, but if they are missing all 3 of those traits, then they might not be an EE.

I do think he looks more like a RIR or some kind of hatchery proprietary egg layer hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom