Easter Egger question

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I've been meaning to post a picture of these young chickens; know they're a mix, but have been curious about the predominant breed. The hens are black with plain straight (not frizzle) feathers, with a feather crown thing on their heads; very small comb and wattles. Their Mother was a Frizzle Cochin; no idea about Dad. Anyway, the hens started out laying small white eggs. Later we noticed they turned beige. Today one laid a light blue egg! We've had others lay colored eggs; were pretty sure they were coming from our Aracauna hen. Are Easter Egger chickens mixed breed, or what do they look like? Will post a picture later when I have more time. Thanks for any info.

it sounds like the hens you have are crossed with the easter eggers.for them tobe laying colored eggs.some are true americana chickens.that lay the tinted colored eggs.an some are what they call mutt eastereggers.ive heard where the rumpless estereggers are the true breed.but i dont know much about them.

"Easter Egger" used to be a term that described all chickens that laid a blue or green egg, including the Araucana and Ameraucana breeds. Nowadays the term "Easter Egger" usually is used to describe a chicken that lays blue or green eggs but does NOT conform to the breed standard for Araucanas or Ameraucanas (i.e., has probably been mixed with other breeds). When you get blue- or green-egg-layers from a feed store or hatchery, their genetics are so mixed up that it is rare that any two will look alike. They come in many shapes, sizes, colors, and color patterns. Not all will lay blue or green eggs, but the ones that do will usually have a pea comb.

I hope that helps to answer your question...

Back
Top Bottom