eggs got cold when broody got up--will they hatch?

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Well after posting last night that we had successfully moved our broody to her own little house, I got a surprise. I'm pretty sure she sat on them all night. AT 6am I looked out and she was off the eggs, walking arund the pen all puffed out. The eggs were no longer warm. I moved them back in her old spot in the coop and she got right one them. Guess she wants to stay there so I'll let her.
What are the odds these eggs will be alright?--this is day 15. I've thought of putting some laid yesterday under her, (marking them), so if this batch doesn't hatch she would be on some others. but would this be too long for her to be broody (for her health?)

Don't be surprised if they hatch. You have to remember you are feeling the surface temperature on the shell and not the internal temperature of the egg. Personally I would give her a break after this batch and wait for her to decide when to brood again.

Many hens do not eat properly while brooding. I have some that I would not hesitate doing exactly what you suggested because I know they take the time to eat well and will regularly get off the nest to browse. Others I would not do it to because I know their conditioning goes downhill while brooding.

Thank you! I did decide not to add any eggs--I am hopeful that some will hatch from the eggs she's on. The due date is next Thursday--I'll let you know!

The only thing I would ask about on your countdown is are you sure you are counting from when she actually started brooding the eggs or when she started laying? You want to count from the start of brooding.

Back
Top Bottom