Emu behavior: training chicks not to nip hard

Lewil25

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2021
Hello,

Question for people who raise chicks!

I currently have an emu chick and am curious how people train and work with them as babies. For background, I was incubating multiple eggs (full story on a previous post!) and he is the only one that made it due to a faulty incubator. I currently have 3 more incubating in a better incubator, so he'll hopefully have friends in a few weeks!
The other emus I've worked with were a bit older when I started with them and were pretty skittish, so it took a while to gain their trust.

Anyway, baby Otto is over 3 weeks now and does his harmless little investigatory pecks, and I know that's a big way they interact with the world so I'm not bothered by those. However, he really likes skin, and he likes to grab it and shake it, a lot. Or he'll just do bigger, stronger pecks, like a nip. I don't want this to be something he does when he's bigger because it already hurts now! Other people will also be interacting with him as he grows and I don't want him to hurt people or cause them to dislike him because he "bites". He's not being mean, I think just entertaining himself. He has other stimulation and things to investigate, but he just loves trying to rip flesh and steal fingers!

My questions are: is this constant grab-and-shake on skin normal chick behavor, and do they grow out of it? Or is it something I need to correct? If so, how? I have tried lightly bopping him on the beak and saying no, but that only encourages him, like it's a game. I read that someone said to gently but quickly move your finger up the beak and across the head and since they don't like it, but he is unbothered. I also am hesitant to do things that might make him head shy and associate head touch with negative reinforcement.

Any advice? How do I speak emu to him and show him we don't do that? Pic of the little monster snuggling in

Edit to clarify: my big emus (now over a year old) also peck at things and people, but they are gentle and you can tell they're just checking it out. They only grab and shake objects, not skin or fingers. To me I see a difference in the type of peck, and I hope I am communicating my thoughts at least a little coherently!

Attachments

• 20220409_214029.jpg
    20220409_214029.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Hello,

Question for people who raise chicks!

I currently have an emu chick and am curious how people train and work with them as babies. For background, I was incubating multiple eggs (full story on a previous post!) and he is the only one that made it due to a faulty incubator. I currently have 3 more incubating in a better incubator, so he'll hopefully have friends in a few weeks!
The other emus I've worked with were a bit older when I started with them and were pretty skittish, so it took a while to gain their trust.

Anyway, baby Otto is over 3 weeks now and does his harmless little investigatory pecks, and I know that's a big way they interact with the world so I'm not bothered by those. However, he really likes skin, and he likes to grab it and shake it, a lot. Or he'll just do bigger, stronger pecks, like a nip. I don't want this to be something he does when he's bigger because it already hurts now! Other people will also be interacting with him as he grows and I don't want him to hurt people or cause them to dislike him because he "bites". He's not being mean, I think just entertaining himself. He has other stimulation and things to investigate, but he just loves trying to rip flesh and steal fingers!

My questions are: is this constant grab-and-shake on skin normal chick behavor, and do they grow out of it? Or is it something I need to correct? If so, how? I have tried lightly bopping him on the beak and saying no, but that only encourages him, like it's a game. I read that someone said to gently but quickly move your finger up the beak and across the head and since they don't like it, but he is unbothered. I also am hesitant to do things that might make him head shy and associate head touch with negative reinforcement.

Any advice? How do I speak emu to him and show him we don't do that? Pic of the little monster snuggling in

Edit to clarify: my big emus (now over a year old) also peck at things and people, but they are gentle and you can tell they're just checking it out. They only grab and shake objects, not skin or fingers. To me I see a difference in the type of peck, and I hope I am communicating my thoughts at least a little coherently!
With chicks, you really have to be their “father” right after they hatch. Hold them constantly while they sleep. That’s the absolute best time to get the emu to trust you completely. I’ve noticed a huge difference in the ones that I’ve held for hours and one chick that I couldn’t and it didn’t imprint. It whistles loudly when I reach in to the brooder pen and runs off. The others are excited and surround my feet.

What do you feed the little one? I would try hand feeding some greens and berries. He’s most likely curious and looking for food. Emus eat constantly during the day with their dad. It could be a mixture of boredom, curiosity and hunger. One I had was nippy and the only thing I could do to stop him was give him blueberries.

I’m going to say this, and some may get upset, emus aren’t very smart. I’m not sure that they can be trained. They might be habitual creatures, or could possibly learn from a bad experience. But actual training, I don’t know…

what i did with mine was just give them special treats they could only get by eating from my hand also just spend time around them. also make sure they see you as a guardian so when ever some one or something scares them i would chase it off.

as for the desire to bite what i did was take a leather glove and pull my finger out of the center slot and wiggle it from the bottom with my knuckle so he could both bite his heart out and learn that fingers are not food

I dont know what of this is actually needed but my male emu even when hes was on the nest was quite friendly with me and no one else.

'is this constant grab-and-shake on skin normal chick behavor,' Gently, yes -- 'investigative pecks' is a fine term. Stronger than that? Not that I have seen.

'emus aren’t very smart. I’m not sure that they can be trained.' I agree. (They have great memories, and they do learn stuff under their own steam. But training them?)

Is this related? One reason I like black heads more than hatchlings is because it is at about 6-8 months that they start getting personality. (It is one way you can ultimately differentiate them) Could your chick just have a grumpy personality?

Watch this, readers:
See the chick second from the left? See the way it pecks at the water rather than efficiently scooping? Well, this chick is now 20 months old, and still hasn't figured out how to 'scoop drink'!

Supreme Emu

Back
Top Bottom