Euthanasia fail - can’t get over it

Jaclyn34

Hatching
Jul 18, 2023
The title pretty much says it all, I put down one of my hens - my favourite hen- nearly a week ago.

She had been sick for weeks and no matter what we did she didn’t seem to be getting any better. There are no vets in our area that see chickens. The day I made the decision, she was mostly just puffed up in her corner with her head under her wing, when I could occasionally get her to move, she would be stumbling and fall easily. She used to be so full of life. I thought it was the right thing to end her pain. In hindsight I wonder if it was the right decision, but I genuinely felt it was the right thing at the time - the kind thing.

I read up on how to do it, and the person who is supposed to help me backed out at the last minute. I didn’t want to make her go through another night. So I decided to go through with it myself.

It was a disaster. I didn’t do it right she wasn’t dead. I tried multiple times, but there was still a heartbeat. I finally thought she was gone, went to get a shovel and came back to discover she wasn’t dead. I grabbed an axe and did what needed to be done. I’m honestly not sure how long the whole thing took but I would guess between five and 10 minutes. Hopefully closer to five.

I am completely devestated by what I’ve done, she deserved so much better. The worst part is I can’t think about my beloved hen without hating myself for how her life ended. When I think of her (all the time) all I think of is her in those last moments.

I know I’m not the only one to not be successful at this - how did others who have been through this get over it? Any advice would be helpful.

I had an awful situation where my neighbour’s chicken was very ill — emaciated, sour crop, parasites and a suppurating breast blister. She was rotting inside and out. I told him that unless he was going to pursue veterinary care then the kind thing would be to put her out of her misery. He didn’t listen and left her in the yard to die a slow death.

I won’t go into details but I took matters into my own hands and it was not the best job I’ve done. I have a lot of regret for how it went and I will carry that regret for the rest of my life. That chicken deserved better from both of us.

Time will take the edge off the raw feeling. All you can do now is learn from your experience and do it differently next time. I’m sure she had a good life up until she got sick and she is no longer suffering now.

I’m sending loving kindness your way. Be gentle with yourself, no one is perfect, and euthanising pets is a difficult and fraught task.

So sorry you're dealing with this. This is never easy and to have difficulties on top of it makes it all the worse. You made a difficult decision and it's done. She's no longer sick and suffering. That's the main thing.

Many people shy away at the axe method for obvious reasons, but it's about as quick and humane as you can get. Once the spinal cord is severed and the head is removed, that's pretty much it. I'd go straight for that route should you find yourself in a situation where euthanasia is the best option. I always tend to second guess whether I did everything I could for a bird before deciding on euthanasia. The fact is, we all want what's best for our animals so if you've come up with relieving an animal's suffering as the best decision, you likely know that the present quality of life is more damaging and painful than keeping them in that condition. It's a call we all have to make, and a responsible one as well.

Hang in there. You did what you thought was best, and that's all anyone can expect out of anyone. :hugs

You may not get over it completely but allow it to become part of your experience; if there's a next time, whether it's a chicken or some other animal, you can proceed according to your knowledge and comfort level. Or not. You do what you're capable of, and find a mentor to help you with the rest.

My worst was when I saw a dog get hit by a car and was clearly a goner, but suffering terribly. I sat with him, cradled his head and told him he was a good boy until he succumbed to his injuries. I'd do anything to have ended his pain more quickly but, at that point in my life, I was totally unprepared both mentally and equipment-wise. Been through a lot since then.

Sorry you had to deal with that.

Back
Top Bottom