EYE INFECTION??.

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
HEY Everyone,
Hope ya'll are having a happy day!
I have a problem with my little polish girl, Phyllis, (her boyfriend is Diller.)
All my chickens, 22, had to be cooped up together because of subzero temperatures for 3 days. I was CRAZY taking care of them in a small room. I guess I neglected her because I was a little overwhelmed. I started treating her as soon as I
was aware of her the problem... Her poop is
greenish brown, she is not quiet a year old. She gets wormed every 6 months, I give them probiotic often and vitamins in their water. I have given her .25 of Tylan 50 for 2 days and rinse her eye with saline 2x a day. When I pull her eyelid down, I can see her eyeball at the bottom. The first day it was a little crusty but I have been keeping it moist. I am attaching pictures. I have NO CLUE what is wrong.. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_20240125_111605.jpg
    IMG_20240125_111605.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240125_111535.jpg
    IMG_20240125_111535.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240125_111605.jpg
    IMG_20240125_111605.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240125_111535.jpg
    IMG_20240125_111535.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240125_122720.jpg
    IMG_20240125_122720.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 2
I have given her .25 of Tylan 50 for 2 days and rinse her eye with saline 2x a day. When I pull her eyelid down, I can see her eyeball at the bottom. The first day it was a little crusty but I have been keeping it moist. I am attaching pictures. I have NO CLUE what is wrong.. Please help!
She has an eye infection. Is there a bad odor?

The pus needs to be removed from the eye in order for it to heal. Flush the eye with saline, press out the pus and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye.
Even when you get the pus out, continue to clean/flush the eye with saline and apply the ointment until it heals.

To treat respiratory infection Tylan50 dosing is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.
Weigh her so you're sure she's getting the correct dose.

Is it just an infection and not a disease? And I didn't smell anything. I found some mold in the bottom of her cage. It molded really fast. Actually 3 days or
She has an eye infection. Is there a bad odor?

The pus needs to be removed from the eye in order for it to heal. Flush the eye with saline, press out the pus and apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye.
Even when you get the pus out, continue to clean/flush the eye with saline and apply the ointment until it heals.

To treat respiratory infection Tylan50 dosing is 0.25ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days.
Weigh her so you're sure she's getting the correct dose.

I have tried to squeeze the infection out. It won't come. I am afraid I will squeeze her eyeball out. What can i do?

Are you using some Terramycin ointment or Neosporin in the eye twice a day. Can you get anything out with a QTip? Was she pecked in her eye? Can you see anything inside the third eyelid stuck? Here is another graphic video of getting pus out of an eye:

Is it just an infection and not a disease? And I didn't smell anything. I found some mold in the bottom of her cage. It molded really fast. Actually 3 days or

I have tried to squeeze the infection out. It won't come. I am afraid I will squeeze her eyeball out. What can i do?
Having some testing will tell you if it's disease or not. Your state lab or an independent lab can test for you.

Work on the eye and see if you can get the pus out, it will make her feel better. Antibiotics alone will not dry up the pus, it has to be removed.

Probably not due to mold, especially if on feed, but it's not too good if she eats it. You may need to provide more ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom