Fabtron Saddle Advice - Bought it.

~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Medford, Oregon
I'm going to look at this Fabtron #7110 saddle tomorrow from Craigslist ad and wanted input from folks that may have owned or do own one and tell me what you think.

Saddle link: http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/fabtron-trail-saddle.html

The
saddle looked in great condition. Gal said her mare has short back, so she's going to purchase the same brand in different style. I'm meeting her at our local tack shop.

The price seems fair to me considering new the saddle runs $554.95 - Headstall $31.50 - Breast collar $44.10

Craigslist ad:

Beautiful Newer Fabtron #7110 with all the matching gear $340.00
16 inch suede padded seat.
Full Qtr Bars with a wide front swell of 13 inches.
Will fit a gaited horse too.
Very supple leather, not a sqeaky saddle.
Comes with Bridal, Reins, Breastcollar, Front and Back cinches.

I'm getting back into trail riding, so no LONG trail rides to start. I'm looking for an inexpensive lightweight saddle that would be a good fit for my big rear and my big boy that was ridden in FQH bar western saddles.

Thank you for your help.

I bought it. It's in brand new condition - looks GREAT - much nicer and better built than what I expected. I had owned an Abetta I had bought years ago to use when I just wanted to go for a quick ride and I didn't want to lug out the HEAVY and SQUEEKY new Crates saddle, so quality wise, I was expecting about the same considering I paid $500.00 for the new Abetta.

Seller also brought along a new cinch and reins, so that's everything I need except for a bit. I just ordered an Imus Comfort Bit. (Loved it yrs ago with my spotted saddle horse that hated most bits and worked her tongue over the top of the bits except for the Imus bit and my trainer loved it because you can use it with the snaffle rings for training or the independent shanks (if that's what their called). Link here: http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-6395.htm

I'll
post pics of my boy in the new saddle this weekend. YAHOOOO - I'm so excited!!!!!

My horse:
24846_farm_pics_dec_31_2010_004.jpg

Last edited:
Done the saddle shopping thing last Thursday.

Got my notes out. Fabtron dealer in Montpelier, La. had a brand new 7110, $459.

So the price sounds good to me.

I bought it. It's in brand new condition - looks GREAT - much nicer and better built than what I expected. I had owned an Abetta I had bought years ago to use when I just wanted to go for a quick ride and I didn't want to lug out the HEAVY and SQUEEKY new Crates saddle, so quality wise, I was expecting about the same considering I paid $500.00 for the new Abetta.

Seller also brought along a new cinch and reins, so that's everything I need except for a bit. I just ordered an Imus Comfort Bit. (Loved it yrs ago with my spotted saddle horse that hated most bits and worked her tongue over the top of the bits except for the Imus bit and my trainer loved it because you can use it with the snaffle rings for training or the independent shanks (if that's what their called). Link here: http://www.nationalbridle.com/product-p/1-6395.htm

I'll
post pics of my boy in the new saddle this weekend. YAHOOOO - I'm so excited!!!!!

Please see attached saddle pics and let me know what you all think of the fit.

The saddle is a full quarter horse bars and I think it fits pretty good. Some think a TWH would take Semi-quarter horse bars however I think that would be too narrow for my guy.

I put the saddle on without the thick pad I have so you could see how it really fits. I need to get a new pad that has the wither cutout since this guy has a higher wither than the TWH mare I had the pad for. Oh - ignore the dirt/dust - barefoot trimmer was out today and he had a good old roll afterwards.
24846_saddle_fit_jan_30_002.jpg

24846_saddle_fit_jan_30_003.jpg

24846_saddle_fit_jan_30_004.jpg

is it just the fuzzy coat or are his withers really that high and close to the parts of the saddle? if so even with a pad Id worry that weight in the saddle will push down and pinch him.

Quote:
He has a winter coat length of 2-3". There is about 2 1/2 - 3" between his withers and that arch. I think a pad will raise that up a little depending on size/type of pad.

Do you think I have the saddle sitting too far forward over the wither? Last night I read this saddle fitting guide that said to place the saddle so the frame sits just behind the shoulder blade.

Seen Here: http://www.horsesaddleshop.com/saddle-fitting-guide.html

its maybe a touch forward, from what i can tell. get a pad take pics, get in the saddle and have some one take pics, then take more pics of his back after you ride.

Back
Top Bottom