Farm Innovators C-250 De-Icer slime issue

ffrisone

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 17, 2013
Harford County, MD
I purchased two Farm Innovators MODEL C-250 deicers from my local Tractor Suppy to use in a chicken waterer. The de-icers work well to keep the water in the containers from freezing, but after a few days, the they start to develop of clear gelatin slime on the cast aluminum ring and the end of the heater rusts up pretty good and causes rust in the water. My question is this... can anyone tell me what they think this slime gelatin substance is that starts to collect on the de-icer ring? I have these in two different containers altogether... one is a plastic chicken waterer and the other is a regular 5 gallon bucket. Bot de-icers collect the same crap on them, so it's not caused by the container they're in. I'm concerned that my chickens are ingesting this stuff and then I'm eating their eggs. Can someone tell me what this stuff is please? Pic attached.

IMG_20230105_173651.jpg

I am not really sure,, but suspect 2 things possibly.
Those deicers may be coated with a certain type of varnish, that is water soluble. Take a brillo pad,, and clean as best as you can. You can also us a Scoth-bright pad to do same. After a few times doing such,, if it is a Varnish issue, it should get removed .

Second possibility,, is something in your water supply.. Have no idea what it may be.

Consider returning these to TSC, and get a different type like at bottom of this post.
brillo-sponges-scouring-pads-53335-64_600.jpg

iu

61cbakBu51L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This one is available @ Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/EDIBIN-Water...ocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-1648766514927&th=1

Or something similar with a plastic coating. There are many out there to choose from.

I know that the ones you have are very common. But,,, they do not suit your needs as you would like. :idunno

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Firstly, I would avoid brillo or any metal cleaning object with that deicer!! And, for you for the time being, avoid bleach as a cleaner in your equipment. Here’s why:
Brillo it is steel wool, and you already have rust: aluminum does not rust. Small steel wool particles can get attached to the aluminum deicer and lead to more rust AND corrosion of aluminum- a process called galvanic corrosion that occurs when one metal corrodes another in the presence of ionic charges (your water being just that). Aluminum corrosion is a protective process for aluminum that can spread to the whole unit but it will not lead to holes like rusty metal will. The process can change the water chemistry which may be behind the slime issue. All water, except distilled and sterilized, contain ions, minerals and microbes to some (acceptable parts per billion) degree. Slime occurs naturally as a protective biofilm, generally a thin layer that is not harmful. I get this on my same deicer, bucket, my dogs water dish after a few days.. it’s not harmful. It should be wiped off using warm soapy water (once or twice a week is fine).
If you get thick gel then something else in water is attaching to the biofilm.. does it stink? Is the slime uniformly adhered or like stirred jello? Does it float IN the water or only adhered to surfaces of container and submerged items? If it is floating you have contaminants somewhere. This could be anything from biologic (would smell bad) to chemical reactions. Rule out biologic by testing water, especially if anyone is ill with gastrointestinal issues periodically for no other known reason. Rule out chem reactions is difficult without knowing chem makeup of YOUR water and has lots of variables:

Is the rust precipitated out in the water or on an object only?
Inspect the heater for exposed wire at the base for a rust. Also inspect the bucket handle on the inside. If these are not the source then my guess is your water is high in minerals and iron, namely calcium and iron ion.
Is it well water or city water? Do you have old metal pipes (not copper)? Any recent pipe repairs? Use water softeners? If so, what type?

If well water has high iron levels you will get rusty water from pale yellow to orange when it is exposed to atmospheric oxygen. Good way to check is to put water in clear glass container, let it sit for an hour. Note any color change from clear to pale yellow (put glass on white paper for background). Also can add a few DROPS of bleach. If iron level is high you will get yellow color and possible rust precipitate in the water due to chemical reaction of sodium hypochlorite in bleach reacting with the iron ions in well water and changes it to the chemical form as rust.
If water is high in calcium you can get calcium reactions leaving deposits or scale. Just brush off with periodically stiff brush but not steel bristles.

I know this is long but the bottom line is, check your water source first.
Change water for chickens daily for now. If they look and seem healthy then you have time to investigate.
feel free to ask questions- I can help as much as I can.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom