Feather eating ducks

MamaDuckk

In the Brooder
Jan 4, 2024
Hi all. I'm new here and need some flock advice. I currently have a mixed flock of 5 female ducks. I recently rescued a juvenille pekin and integrated her with my other 4. She is the closest with my other bow legged pekin and the head of the flock, silver appleyard. They were all doing fine until the new pekin (Sunshine) started to over groom the bow legged pekin (Tootsie). The alpha female (Babyduck) decided to join in on this. I separated Sunshine and Babyduck from the other 3, leaving Tootsie with the 2 that do not bother her. Tootsie is in the process of molting. At first, they could not be around her without hurting her. I have had all of them together daily but only under supervision. They seemed to be better today and I am praying that once Tootsie's feathers come in the issue will resolve and I will be able to put everyone together again. Is this normal and is there anything I can do to stop it? Sunshine is 9 mos old and was living with rabbits when I adopted her. Babyduck is a year and 3 mos and is following Sunshine's bad idea of fun. Tootsie the bow legged pekin is another rescue that is somewhere between 9 - 10 mos. The vet believes her condition is permanent due to a severely tight muscle in her right leg that does not allow for proper range of motion.

All the ducks get Kalmbach duck and goose feed daily, 16% layer crumble that I scatter on the ground with scratch grains. Tootsie also get supplemental niacin daily.

Any help or advice with this situation is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks 🦆

Back
Top Bottom