Feather missing and scabbing is this bullying please help.

chickenlover8969

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 2, 2023
A few days ago I noticed feathers are missing on my chickens back close to her tail. I haven’t seen any bullying going on with her sometimes there are a few pecks with the others when I’m watching but never with her if this is bullying any ideas how to fix it she’s a buff Brahma about 11 weeks old my chickens are all in the 10-12 week range except for my rooster a little younger

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpeg
    IMG_0053.jpeg
    341.6 KB · Views: 65
It does look like feather picking. Is she close to the first molt, or does she have feathers missing elsewhere? How old is she? Feather picking can be a result of over crowding, boredom, not getting out side to roam, too much light inside the coop or nests, too little protein in the diet, and some breeds tend to be more aggressive. Are any others missing feathers? What do you feed them? Sometimes a no pick ointment or pine tar may cause a bad taste and can temporarily prevent pecking, but determining the cause is best. Pinless peepers for the bully can sometimes help if nothing else helps.

It does look like feather picking. Is she close to the first molt, or does she have feathers missing elsewhere? How old is she? Feather picking can be a result of over crowding, boredom, not getting out side to roam, too much light inside the coop or nests, too little protein in the diet, and some breeds tend to be more aggressive. Are any others missing feathers? What do you feed them? Sometimes a no pick ointment or pine tar may cause a bad taste and can temporarily prevent pecking, but determining the cause is best. Pinless peepers for the bully can sometimes help i
She’s not missing any feathers anywhere else. I do not know if she is close to her first she is 11 weeks old. Right now we’re still on medicated chick starter grower we’re gonna be switching to layer feed in a few weeks. We have 13 chickens 12 and one rooster. they’re all around 10 to 12 weeks old at the rooster is eight weeks They’re out in the run all day long. The run is 256 ft.² in the henhouse is 86 ft.² in the run they have things to climb on and grass one is missing a few hackle feathers but not nearly as bad as this

Its mating ? I havent seen any of it but you could be right the feathers still grow under the saddl?

Yes they do, but they probably won't until the hen has molted again. I have had to use a saddle on one of my poor hens who was getting over loved by my rooster, and it fixed the problem.

Back
Top Bottom