Feathering issue - not molting - rooster riden?

SadiesRoost

Chirping
Jul 12, 2020
2 Year old barred rock hen name: "Frida-lay". Molted in fall 22, stopped laying about a month ago she is a very consistent layer. The feather issue appeared around same time as stopped laying. She is acting normal, I've checked her for mites/lice and even though I did not find anything on her I treated her with ivermectin pour-on, just in case. Took close photo's this am because I wanted confirm NOT lice or mites. Skin is inflamed so wondering if it's a rooster issue, affecting back and wings. I see some feathers trying to regrow, but not sure if something else could be causing this issue, such as a disease or nutritional deficiency. Have I missed something? BTW all my hens are large fowl, but the roo is a bantam OEG that found a home here after wandering into our yard.
IMG_20230504_093511.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230504_093631.jpg
    IMG_20230504_093631.jpg
    648.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20230504_093708.jpg
    IMG_20230504_093708.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 9
Looks pretty typical of worn feathers due to treading.
You can try putting a saddle on her to see if that helps.

Does the rooster favor her more than the others?

At 2yrs old and having molted last fall, she should be laying pretty consistently. Her stopping laying, I'd observe her from a distance. See if she's stressed, getting picked on, getting to eat/drink and that her crop is emptying overnight.

Thank you for your reply, she does seem to get a fair amount of attention from the Rooster. But I have two dominate RIR and a more aggressive BR that might be picking at her. BUT she definitely harrasses some of the others, so she's not TOTALLY at the bottom. She also usually sleeps "alone" on a roost pole on opposite side of coup which I've thought is odd. So maybe it is that, I'll keep an eye on it. Also want to put something soothing on those areas, if you have any suggestions. I've heard people say blukote can cause stinging/burning.

Thank you again for your reply.

I don't think an ointment will do much.
She will become more bare as the year progresses. I'd monitor the skin and if she has any abrasions, you can apply a bit of NuStock or Pine Tar, but ointments/etc., are not going to reduce the treading/feather loss.

In the past when I had hens that started getting quite bare, I put saddles on them. Saddles will help protect the bare skin. Feathers will still be worn and lost, but not as much. You still need to look at the skin under the saddles a couple of times a week to make sure nothing is going on there and to check the fit of the saddle as well.

Once she goes through a molt, then she'll feather back in.

Back
Top Bottom