Feeding chickens Silkworm Pupae to double Egg production:

Actually, I do not know that.
If the extra eggs required more expensive food, the current system might still be the most cost-effective way to produce eggs. And of course the commercial producers are really seeking the best ratio of eggs produced to dollars spent, no matter whether it's more hens eating cheap food or less hens eating expensive food.
good point

I have a hen that has suddenly started laying more eggs. I was drawn to this thread to research the matter. Including yesterday and today, she has laid 3 eggs. I thought she was having an issue with the egg being "stuck". (I'm not that experienced in the matter but called the vet who recommended a soak in warm water with epsom salt.) I started this procedure this morning as the hen had been apparently (I thought) "trying" to lay most of the day yesterday and all night. When I got her out of the nesting box for the bath this morning, I saw 2 eggs of hers laid in the past 24 hours (along with other hens' eggs, but hers have a distinctive color by comparison and are also generally smaller). Then soon after the bath, she went back to nesting. Later in the day, I took her out to try a soak again and found another egg. So I am inclined to think that she is not having any problems with an egg being stuck. She is just suddenly laying more eggs. It is the time of year with the longest days, and I have been feeding the hens some berries and lettuce from the garden in addition to what they usually get. ....Just thought I would add my experience here. I hope she goes back to her normal schedule of laying about 4 eggs a week, as this seems hard on her, and if I was not taking her out of the nesting box occassionally, I'm not sure she would have had any water or food the past 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom