Feeding Chicks Oatmeal

ojacissej

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2023
Has anyone else given their <5 week old chicks finely ground up oatmeal? My girls go crazy for this treat. I read it in an article somewhere that I cannot find now. It was an article about treat distribution and feeding, and in a little blue "Tip" box it said: your chicks will have a leg up on other chicks if you feed them ground up oatmeal. So I did, and they absolutely love it. At 1st we gave it to them every day but I noticed they poop A LOT more and weren't eating as much of their feed. Now they're down to about 2x/week. Been hand feeding it to them too, but since I cut it back, when I do hand feed them their skin grabbing maniacs lol. It's great fun, it was more fun when it didn't hurt as much 😅
Anyone else try this? What were your results? I have found nothing else about this online

We have used oatmeal to feed chicks in a pinch. Before commercial feeds oats was used by many to feed chickens. I personally have not done the research, but I have seen others say that oats is not really the best grain for chickens when they look at its food value breakdown.

We have used oatmeal to feed chicks in a pinch. Before commercial feeds oats was used by many to feed chickens. I personally have not done the research, but I have seen others say that oats is not really the best grain for chickens when they look at its food value breakdown.
Right! The chick starter feed we got when we go them is their main food source. I've been using the oatmeal as a treat to get them used to our hands. I was nervous about feeding them treats while they're still young but I think cutting back to 2x/week was a good choice

Has anyone else given their <5 week old chicks finely ground up oatmeal? My girls go crazy for this treat. I read it in an article somewhere that I cannot find now. It was an article about treat distribution and feeding, and in a little blue "Tip" box it said: your chicks will have a leg up on other chicks if you feed them ground up oatmeal. So I did, and they absolutely love it. At 1st we gave it to them every day but I noticed they poop A LOT more and weren't eating as much of their feed. Now they're down to about 2x/week. Been hand feeding it to them too, but since I cut it back, when I do hand feed them their skin grabbing maniacs lol. It's great fun, it was more fun when it didn't hurt as much 😅
Anyone else try this? What were your results? I have found nothing else about this online
this summarizes what I did with 3 clutches raised here last summer
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-or-standard-chickens.1558532/#post-26419330
They are still on a no-commercial-feed diet, and are still thriving. They also continue to free range dawn-dusk, every day. Of all the varied advice you will get, the best one-liner I can give is to suggest you feed a variety and everything in moderation.

Back
Top Bottom