Feeding practices for male sheep?

FolkSonginC

Songster
May 2, 2019
Peaks Island, ME
This is copied from the backyard herds forum, where I just posted it - posting it here because that forum doesn't seem very active, and I'm a little bit anxious. Hopefully someone here is knowledgeable about this kind of stuff.

I have mostly male sheep: two wethers, one ram, and a ewe. They all eat grain, just a little bit in their feed every day and then as treats, but the grain is balanced in terms of calcium and phosphorus. It also has ammonium chloride, but I make sure they get a little extra calcium just in case, so they also get a moderate-small amount of alfalfa pellets in their breakfast. The rest made up of lespedeza pellets, and a little bit of orchard grass pellets. They also have free choice kelp, which they like, and they eat timothy hay/grass mix as their main source of food, so this all seems balanced to me.

The thing is, I just ordered some scratch and peck sheep feed. You can't buy it from their website, so I got it off Chewy. But for some reason, the guaranteed analysis of the feed I got from Chewy - identical in every other way to the one shown by scratch and peck - is totally different. The scratch and peck website shows a min of 1.35% calcium and a maximum of 1.5%, with a minimum of 0.56% phosphorus. Roughly 2:1 ratio, so I think, no problem. The directions even say you can feed it to rams. But the feed that just arrived shows a min of 0.67% calcium and a max of 0.77%, while the phosphorus content is 0.5%.

I am extremely frustrated with this because I've been mislead, and I have mostly male sheep. I haven't been able to reach the company to ask what the f- is up with the different content- it's not just calcium/phosphorus, but a number of other things that are different on the label. With the other supplements I give my sheep that are high in calcium, does this sound like it might be okay in small quantities? Maybe I can add calcium to it in some form, or feed them more alfalfa along with it? I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts about this because I'm hesitant to use it unless I know it will be totally safe. I have an ammonium chloride supplement that I've never used but have on hand just in case as well.

By the way- not sure if it changes the mineral/nutrient content at all (not sure why it would) but my plan was to ferment the sheep feed.

I am no expert on sheep. I had a few sheep but I mostly had dairy goats. I think you are over thinking this. I would go ahead and feed it in small quantities. As I said, I am not expert on sheep.

I fed my buck goats mostly alfalfa hay because that is what I had available. I fed grain to adult bucks only during the breeding season. The grain was usually COB (corn, oats, and barley). I only had one case or urinary calculi and that was in a wether who was deprived of water for a period of time. His automatic waterer malfunctioned and I am ashamed to say it was a while before I noticed.

The only class of livestock I ever gave fermented feed to was hogs.

Are you sure calcium is a good idea? After all, they are not lactating and I have heard people say you should not feed alfalfa to males because of the high calcium content.

Back
Top Bottom