Feeding schedule questions and crop questions

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
We have a chicken flock of 14. The oldest are probably about 10 weeks old as of now. The youngest 2 are 5 weeks old. The rest in between. We have been hanging a feeder for them refilling every other day with a 44 oz container. Its roughly the time it takes for them to eat it all. We had a goose who was eating it too but sadly she passed today due to an accident so the amount might drop.

Anyways their free range with lots of wild black berry bushes, some large trees and and lots of overgrown brush. They spend alot of time out there laying in the brush where I cant get to them because ouch theres thorns lol. Anyways free range and full access to a feeder. And I do go in at 9-9:30pm after their up on the roosts to fill a water dish and dump some food enough to cover the bottom of the bowls for the night. Should I continue giving them food and water at night? Their usually let out by 8-9am by my parents since I'm still asleep.

And tonight in general my runt chick was looking up at all the others on the roost i cant seem to get her to go up herself so i've been putting her up there with the two she wants to be with and tonight I noticed the crops on a brahma and wyandotte looked large. Which makes me wonder even more if I should be giving them extra food at night? I would like to avoid any crop issues. Their not showing any breathing issues or less active but I don't do a morning check on their crops before their out and foraging and I can't catch 90% of them during the day until after their relaxed on roosts

Were still having some cold late 30's F nights so I can see giving them food access on those nights for the extra warmth but what about nights with warmer temps?

I'm just worried. Also worried because my runt chick didn't seem have that big of a crop so its conflicting. Shes always been behind but shes doing better than before. Today I saw her out with the brahmas and easter eggers in the brush acting like a chicken it made me happy lol.

What do others do feeding schedule wise. And honestly what are you supposed to look for in potential crop issues?

A full crop when they go to roost is good.
I would be more concerned about the little one with a less full crop than with the more full crops - have you watched the little one eat at the feeder? Specifically, is there any chance the little one is being discouraged from going to the feeder? It may be very subtle like posturing rather than overt things like pecking or chasing. A second feeder, or two others, out of sight of each other, will help if this is a problem or at least for a few days to help see if it helps the little one.

They don't need to eat during the night. It should be too dark for them to eat anyway.

It is best for them to have food when they get down from the roosts (dawn). I usually do that by leaving food out all the time but sometimes have gotten up in the wee hours to do it (and gone back to bed.)

I can't help with the signs of crop problems. I watch for normal behavior and apperance; since I haven't had anything that wasn't explained, I haven't looked into crop issues.

Pictures of the inside of the coop would help us help you with why the little one isn't getting up there on her own. Either with something in the picture for scale (the chickens on the roost, for example) or also measurements of how high it is and/or how long it is.

A full crop when they go to roost is good.
I would be more concerned about the little one with a less full crop than with the more full crops - have you watched the little one eat at the feeder? Specifically, is there any chance the little one is being discouraged from going to the feeder? It may be very subtle like posturing rather than overt things like pecking or chasing. A second feeder, or two others, out of sight of each other, will help if this is a problem or at least for a few days to help see if it helps the little one.

They don't need to eat during the night. It should be too dark for them to eat anyway.

It is best for them to have food when they get down from the roosts (dawn). I usually do that by leaving food out all the time but sometimes have gotten up in the wee hours to do it (and gone back to bed.)

I can't help with the signs of crop problems. I watch for normal behavior and apperance; since I haven't had anything that wasn't explained, I haven't looked into crop issues.

Pictures of the inside of the coop would help us help you with why the little one isn't getting up there on her own. Either with something in the picture for scale (the chickens on the roost, for example) or also measurements of how high it is and/or how long it is.
Okay thats good that a full crop at night is good lol I unfortunately dont have pictures of the coop. But I don't think its a coop issue as none of the others have an issue getting up on the roosts or back down. I'm 5'4" The top roost is about waist high while the bottom roost is about knee high lol.

I think its a her issue. We also had a roosting bar in the brooder that I don't remember her ever getting on that either. Plus the other day the brahmas were sitting on a branch sitting up off the ground that we never used in the coop. There was enough room for her but she looked at them and walked up to it and she was standing a bit tall up against it the branch was about at the middle of her neck but she didnt even try to get up there she just kept looking for about a minute before walking away.

The first night I saw her looking up at the brahmas I put her on the roost below because I was worried she would fall but just as I turned around she jumped down. I went back after a bit and she was looking up at the brahmas again so I picked her up and put her next to them and she stayed. I wish I had a camera in there to see what they all do after I shut the doors for the night.

I'll keep an eye on her and see if I see them trying to keep her away from the food. The easter eggers will be outside from now on so they typically cause her to be more active in walking and pecking around

Back
Top Bottom