Fermenting food

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

We ferment too. I can't say what good it does like you can, but I know it's so very healthy and full of probiotics and prebiotics. What do you ferment, like their layer pellets? I do half Kalmbachs HHR and half 6-grain scratch with a tablespoon of Chia seeds per quart jar.

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

We ferment too. I can't say what good it does like you can, but I know it's so very healthy and full of probiotics and prebiotics. What do you ferment, like their layer pellets? I do half Kalmbachs HHR and half 6-grain scratch with a tablespoon of Chia seeds per quart jar.
I get the bulk layer mix from the local COOP. It is primarily ground corn with added wheat and oyster shell. I just leave it in a 5 quart ice cream bucket beside the wood stove for 24 hours and always leave some of the previous batch in the bucket and stir it in well. They love it and eat every drop.

I use whole grains so I ferment for longer. I like knowing where it comes from (locally) and if I am not happy with a bag, I won't buy it again from that farmer/elevator. I am unhappy with my current bag of oat groats, for instance, so I won't be buying from them again.

I ferment for 3 days: 1/5 whole corn, 2/5 whole wheat, and 2/5 whole oats. To that I add sunflower seeds (BOSS), which are fermented 12 to 24 hours. When the weather was nice they simply would not touch the corn. With the snow, they have decided to eat it. It's nice they can pick what they need. I also give oyster shell separately.

I use whole grains because as soon as you cut it, the seed looses nutrition. If I change to ground, I will grind it myself as I need it.

I'll add that the homestead my rooster came from, they add garlic to the mix (not fermented, just expensive). This is supposed to keep mites from them, but it is overall a good additive.

I started fermenting my chicken feed 2 weeks ago and two of my old hens who haven't laid in several months have started laying eggs daily and one who was still laying sporadically has also started laying daily. My pullets are also laying daily now.
I used to make a mean ferment! I would add dry fishmeal, oats, and other goodies. Its super easy to add additives into ferment that your birds will LOVE

4 days worth.

Attachments

• IMG_5276.JPEG
    IMG_5276.JPEG
    445.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom