Field fence for chickens?

BenlynFarm

Crowing
Aug 28, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
Would this type of fencing hold in the chickens? Or has anyone ever tried it? I’m wanting to fence a pasture area for our chickens and ducks and looking for a more affordable fencing that will keep them in a specific area of the farm. I know the 2x4 is more ideal but wondering if anyone has tried this type.

B6DBAD68-8821-4963-8969-FBDBEE437415.png

How big an area? And how motivated are the chickens to get out? How old are the birds?

Mine fly better when younger and a 4’ fence would never stop them. Also, even some of my smaller adult chickens can slip through a 4x6” opening.

If they have plenty of space to roam, it’ll probably be fine. The fence is more of a deterrent. but as a confined run fence, I’d have my doubts.

Also will NOT work for predator proofing.

How big an area? And how motivated are the chickens to get out? How old are the birds?

Mine fly better when younger and a 4’ fence would never stop them. Also, even some of my smaller adult chickens can slip through a 4x6” opening.

If they have plenty of space to roam, it’ll probably be fine. The fence is more of a deterrent. but as a confined run fence, I’d have my doubts.

If I used this - I’d likely use two -330ft rolls so it’d fence maybe 3/4 an acre? They have a secure coop at night. It would just be for free ranging during the day.

If I used this - I’d likely use two -330ft rolls so it’d fence maybe 3/4 an acre? They have a secure coop at night. It would just be for free ranging during the day.
Yeah, so 3/4 acre is a decent free range area.

I’m gonna be a “fence-sitter”. If your birds are happy with what they’ve got (plenty of forage, cover, etc) this would be a decent deterrent. If the want a little more room it’s not going to work as a containment fence.

And once more, NOT going to do anything about predators.

Back
Top Bottom